Favorite Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jettaguy

Ancient Mann Brewing
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just curious on what your favorite style of beer you’ve made so far is and which one surprised you the most on how well it turned out. Feel free to include pics. So far my favorite and biggest surprise are the same beer. The only issue was that I had never had this style of beer when I did drink regular beer. But many of my friends said it kicked butt.

IMG_0149.jpg
View attachment 573211View attachment 573212

Nice label. Nice name. Nice beer!

I've only been brewing for 10 months, but my favorite has been my all Galaxy IPA. Big aroma and delicious taste...no pic cuz it's all gone. I also made a 7.5% Hoppy Amber that was very good. A bit sweet. I will brew it again in the fall with some adjustments.

I'll be bottling a Passion fruit Witbier (Wit Passion) on Monday. I'm optimistic! We'll see.

My porter (first all grajn attempt) was a total failure. I guess u can call it more of a scotch ale?

My favorite was an East India Porter inspired by this recipe on the "Shut Up About Barclay Perkins" blog. Tons of EKG and an even grist of Pale, brown, and amber malt. Not an IPA but a super charged earthy porter. Loved it and it was well received by everyone, even those that "didn't like" porters.

Nice label. Nice name. Nice beer!

I've only been brewing for 10 months, but my favorite has been my all Galaxy IPA. Big aroma and delicious taste...no pic cuz it's all gone. I also made a 7.5% Hoppy Amber that was very good. A bit sweet. I will brew it again in the fall with some adjustments.

I'll be bottling a Passion fruit Witbier (Wit Passion) on Monday. I'm optimistic! We'll see.

My porter (first all grajn attempt) was a total failure. I guess u can call it more of a scotch ale?

Very cool, I’ve made 4 IPA’s now and they have all been awesome. My first all grain was a Porter as well and it was awesome. My biggest disappointment so far was my Irish Cream Ale. It too was too sweet and caramel notes were high.
IMG_1514.jpg
IMG_1691.jpg
IMG_0274.jpg
IMG_9478.jpg
IMG_9790.jpg

Dry Saisons made with Belle Saison yeast and dry hopped or lightly oaked are consistantly some of my best beers (especially in the summer).

IPAs, & ESBs are also working out well.

IPA's are my go-to for sure, but I do love my stouts and porters. I love the "juicy" IPA's and am currently refining my own version modeled after Deschutes Fresh Squeezed. As of now, the hops are spot on, but the body is lacking. I have my next version ready to go, and hoping for it to be final!

Jettaguy - Just out of curiosity to do you re-use your bottles after labeling? The labels look more like the plastic type, do they remove easily? Just when I'm happy with my equipment setup you go and plant the seed for another endeavor....

Ya I love the juicy IPA’s as well. Just bottled an Orange IPA. I do re use most of my bottles. The labels I use are an Avery removable adhesive full sheet label. I just bought a laser printer to print them now. I was going to Staples to get them printed but at $60 a batch in labels it was a bit much. The labels peel off quite easily.

Here is my latest.

IMG_1756.jpg

I recently made a SMaSH w/ Marris Otter and Mosaic. It turned out really well. I would share a pic, but it was so good I drank it all. Lol

Ya I love the juicy IPA’s as well. Just bottled an Orange IPA. I do re use most of my bottles. The labels I use are an Avery removable adhesive full sheet label. I just bought a laser printer to print them now. I was going to Staples to get them printed but at $60 a batch in labels it was a bit much. The labels peel off quite easily.

Here is my latest.

View attachment 573581
That label is awesome!

[Edit - sorry, didn't realize this was in the GF forum, and my beers aren't GF, so figured it would be best to remove the post]

Last edited:
I suppose I should mention that my beers are not gluten free (sorry, didn't notice the forum this post was in until now).

Jettaguy are you using gluten free malts or do you add enzymes to remove the majority of the gluten?

100% GF since there is no definitive test to show the Gluten has been removed. Most Celiacs these days won’t touch a gluten removed beer.

100% GF since there is no definitive test to show the Gluten has been removed. Most Celiacs these days won’t touch a gluten removed beer.

Yeah, that's what I've read (in my very limited googling).
I was mostly asking because I see a number of your beers are fairly dark. Seems like most of the commercial GF beers out there are pale. So, nice work!

Carry on

Yeah, that's what I've read (in my very limited googling).
I was mostly asking because I see a number of your beers are fairly dark. Seems like most of the commercial GF beers out there are pale. So, nice work!

Carry on

Ya most are shyte. LOL. That’s why I’m trying to open a GF Brewery.

Cheers

IMG_20180615_163102.jpg
This is the best beer I've brewed. A clone of Avery's Lilikoi Kepolo. Passion Fruit Wit.

This is very close to the real thing. It could use a bit more tartness imo. Head retention is no good though. Summer crusher.

Last edited:
Is there a recipe floating around somewhere? Looks refreshing!

Here ya go:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Wit Passion

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Witbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4.3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.3%
IBU (tinseth): 25.21
SRM (morey): 6.18

FERMENTABLES:
0.825 lb - Flaked Oats (10%)
3.3 lb - Biscuit Rice Malt (40%)
4.125 lb - Pale Millet Malt (50%)

HOPS:
0.21 oz - Bravo, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 23.03
0.04 oz - Bravo, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 2.18
0.16 oz - Sterling, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.7, Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 104 F, Time: 15 min, Amount: 3.59 gal, Beta Glucan
2) Temperature, Temp: 168 F, Time: 15 min, Amount: 3.59 gal, Gelatinization
3) Temperature, Temp: 150 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 3.59 gal, Saccharification
4) Temperature, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 3.59 gal, Mash Out
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp - AMG-300, Time: 31 min, Type: Other, Use: Mash
1.33 tbsp - Termamyl, Time: 1 min, Type: Other, Use: Mash
0.5 tsp - Yeast nutrient, Time: 15 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil
0.2 oz - Bitter Orange Peel, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
0.2 oz - Coriander, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
17 oz - Passionfruit Pulp, Time: 5 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - Belgian Wit M21
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72.5%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 64 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 ambient F

Adapted from info in this thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/averys-lilikoi-kepolo-clone.576515/

Thanks! Is the fact that I just received my first two 3 gallon fermenters in the mail right as you post a very appealing 3 gallon recipe a coincidence?? I think not!

Here ya go:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Wit Passion

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Witbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4.3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.3%
IBU (tinseth): 25.21
SRM (morey): 6.18

FERMENTABLES:
0.825 lb - Flaked Oats (10%)
3.3 lb - Biscuit Rice Malt (40%)
4.125 lb - Pale Millet Malt (50%)

HOPS:
0.21 oz - Bravo, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 23.03
0.04 oz - Bravo, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 2.18
0.16 oz - Sterling, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.7, Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 104 F, Time: 15 min, Amount: 3.59 gal, Beta Glucan
2) Temperature, Temp: 168 F, Time: 15 min, Amount: 3.59 gal, Gelatinization
3) Temperature, Temp: 150 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 3.59 gal, Saccharification
4) Temperature, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 3.59 gal, Mash Out
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp - AMG-300, Time: 31 min, Type: Other, Use: Mash
1.33 tbsp - Termamyl, Time: 1 min, Type: Other, Use: Mash
0.5 tsp - Yeast nutrient, Time: 15 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil
0.2 oz - Bitter Orange Peel, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
0.2 oz - Coriander, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
17 oz - Passionfruit Pulp, Time: 5 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - Belgian Wit M21
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72.5%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 64 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 ambient F

Adapted from info in this thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/averys-lilikoi-kepolo-clone.576515/

I made a Mbege that got a first place medal under Category 27 - Historical Beer and went onto get 3rd place best-of-show. Doing that with a gluten free beer sure surprised the heck out of me.

I made a Mbege that got a first place medal under Category 27 - Historical Beer and went onto get 3rd place best-of-show. Doing that with a gluten free beer sure surprised the heck out of me.

From what I've noticed, people think my beers are great as long as I don't even tell them it's gluten free. Once people hear "gluten free" they get spooked and start thinking something is wrong.

Back