Favorite part of brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like measuring out and milling the ingredients and I also like getting the hydrometer reading.

Smell of the mash is great too.

Then there's seeing the color of the mash as it's being circulated over to the HERMs coil.

Almost all of cleanup sucks except the final wipe down on the stainless. Always takes me back to closing time in the restaurant biz.

I like measuring out and milling the ingredients and I also like getting the hydrometer reading.

Smell of the mash is great too.

Then there's seeing the color of the mash as it's being circulated over to the HERMs coil.

Almost all of cleanup sucks except the final wipe down on the stainless. Always takes me back to closing time in the restaurant biz.
This is only my 2nd batch. I'm still an extract guy. I certainly agree with the cleanup.

So, what is your favorite part of brew day? Just curious.
For me, it's the smells. The grains being steeped. The sweet smell of the hops right out of the package.
Never gets old.
I enjoy the entire day. A brew day means I don’t have to, or am not going to, worry about anything but making beer.

I’m self employed and the principal owner of a small business. OK, I’m a farmer, but a farm is just another small business, with the extra, added attraction of being subject to a lot of regulatory requirements. I’m the guy who balances the books, pays the bills, deals with vendors, lenders, buyers and bureaucrats. So, having a half a day, once or twice a month, when all I have to worry about is milling, mashing, boiling, pitching, and cleaning, is a welcome break from the real world. Plus, it takes homebrew to make homebrew. What’s not to like? :cool:

Well I’ve often said brewing is my gym, I mill my grain with a hand crank… don’t like that part. Measuring the ingredients 👍 smelling the aromas during the mash and boil👍 filling the fermentor and pitching the yeast👍. Cleaning up afterward is satisfying, but not a fun task, I brew in my kitchen so there isn’t much choice.

Pitching the yeast…

I’ve gotten to the point where I’m okay with the wort being around 80 and pitching into fermenter. I’ll throw that in the chamber, with the yeast starter and wait for the temp to regulate.

Which gives me time to do all the cleaning, so when the yeast is pitched brew day is done!

I think I have a couple favorite parts. I love getting ready to brew on brew day (water, brewing salts, crushing grain, recipe tweaking). I also love checking my mash pH and finally when the wort goes in to the fermenter and gets sealed up.

Nobody likes cleanup but it is well worth it considering I'll have beer to drink before too long!

Edit: One last thing if I have a wyeast pack I love smacking it and showing it who's boss!

I agree it's nice to see it put away but that cleaning part that comes first I don't like LMAO.

all it takes for me, is to fill my boil kettle with water, let it soak for 15 minutes...clean with brush...dump mash tun, which is the PITA..then rinse with the hose? put everything back in the closet?

I think I have a couple favorite parts. I love getting ready to brew on brew day (water, brewing salts, crushing grain, recipe tweaking). I also love checking my mash pH and finally when the wort goes in to the fermenter and gets sealed up.

Nobody likes cleanup but it is well worth it considering I'll have beer to drink before too long!

Edit: One last thing if I have a wyeast pack I love smacking it and showing it who's boss!
Yeah. I gave my Imperial A07 Flagship a real thrashing today.

you should use your mash paddle, if you really want it to know you're the boss! ;) :mug:
The smells!
The hops! The mash, I love being able to smell the grain in the mash and in the wort before the hops are added. A freshly opened liquid yeast package, Ill keep it on the bench and just periodically sniff it.
I love that feeling when its all cleaned up and put away and I have already hauled that heavy fermenter to the basement to do its thing.
And last, if I can see that first bubble of life in the airlock before I turn-in for the night.
That's satisfaction.

One of my favorite parts is the trip to the LHBS… looking around at all the stuff, flipping through the books and magazines, tasting a pinch of various malts in the grain room and the anticipation of the actual brew day

So, what is your favorite part of brew day? Just curious.
For me, it's the smells. The grains being steeped. The sweet smell of the hops right out of the package.
Never gets old.
For me it's the beer design work leading up to dough in. This process for me can take as little as an hour and as much as several weeks to complete. From there then it's the putting all of the grains and hops together measuring everything out etc... Then the evening before dough in setting up the system with the proper volumes and temperatures etc. But once the HLT gets drained at dough in it's all work from there... Ha ha ha...

Cheers
Jay

Probably the mash. I know there's so many complex reactions and such happening in there, and it's so satisfying when it comes out the other end. I remember being almost giddy at this step when I did my first all grain brew.
Second would be fermentation. Yeast seems to only recently been getting the credit it deserves for it's role in creating unique flavors, not just a tool to turn sugar into alcohol.

I did my first all grain batch on Saturday. My favorite part was mashing in and a close second was the boil the boil. The very malty smell mixed with a bit of Cascade right out of the gate. The apex was with about 25 min left the cinnamon and orange peel went in. The garage smelled amazing. Cleanup is a… I hope the Holiday Amber Ale that now has a 2.5 inch krausen will be worth the cleanup. The tad of wort I pulled from the kettle and tasted was of course a bit sweet but shows great promises.

I enjoy the entire day. A brew day means I don’t have to, or am not going to, worry about anything but making beer.

I’m self employed and the principal owner of a small business. OK, I’m a farmer, but a farm is just another small business, with the extra, added attraction of being subject to a lot of regulatory requirements. I’m the guy who balances the books, pays the bills, deals with vendors, lenders, buyers and bureaucrats. So, having a half a day, once or twice a month, when all I have to worry about is milling, mashing, boiling, pitching, and cleaning, is a welcome break from the real world. Plus, it takes homebrew to make homebrew. What’s not to like? :cool:
This. I to own a small business and the opportunity to get to step away for an afternoon and brew is a wonderful thing.

I love the whole process, except the cleaning:). Especially like the smells of the grain, wort and hops and that feeling of satisfaction when the airlock starts bubbling happily.

Cheers!

No nap for me. I find myself peeking at the boil every 2-3 minutes. ;)
Oh I look at the boil like sitting around a fire, just get lost staring into it. It's great.

My favorite parts of the brew day are mashing in, love the smell and closing up the fermenter after pitching the yeast and aerating. Clean up sucks, but I've got it down pretty efficiently. Most stuff is cleaned as I go, but kettle and chiller clean up pretty quick.

I love everything about a brewday. Not one thing comes out as best, although sitting back in my chair, sweaty, stinky, covered in grain bits, and knowing everything is clean and put away for the next day, is pretty nice. If I had to say one thing, it would be being able to start a brewday on the fly; since I buy grain and hops in bulk, and now have natural gas, I almost never have to worry about having enough ingredients/fuel to brew something.

Back