Favorite Nitrogen Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackers252

Reaction score
I just added a nitrogen system to my existing keggerator. My first beer on the nitrogen side is going to be a Boddington's clone followed by a pumpkin pie ale once I get the pressures right.

What are other favorite beers you've had on nitrogen?

It's not a style that you'd think of, but I had an African Amber served with nitro and it was fantastic!

I've had Murphy's and it was great with the nitrogen. I've never had the double chocolate with the nitrogen but I like it out of the bottle.

And I've never even heard of an African Amber.

Last year I had a Pumpkin Ale on nitro, and it was one of the best beers I've ever had. Hopefully going to be getting some again this weekend.

As a side note, does one put the nitrogen into suspension in the beer and is that what gives it the creamy mouthfeel, or is it something else?

Last year I had a Pumpkin Ale on nitro, and it was one of the best beers I've ever had. Hopefully going to be getting some again this weekend.

As a side note, does one put the nitrogen into suspension in the beer and is that what gives it the creamy mouthfeel, or is it something else?

Where did you get that? My Mom used to live around State College, PA.

I had a nice amber ale on nitro at the brewpub in the Salt Lake City airport. Got me thinking a whole lot about what will go on my nitro when I get it set up.

B

Selin's Grove Brewing Company, about an hour or so away...best brewpub in PA.

I also had a nitro IIPA from Bullfrog in Williamsport which was tasty.

Selin's Grove is about 30 minutes from my Grandmother's house. She lives on US 11/15, about 45 minutes north of Harrisburg. I will try to swing by there next time I'm up in PA.

Selin's Grove is about 30 minutes from my Grandmother's house. She lives on US 11/15, about 45 minutes north of Harrisburg. I will try to swing by there next time I'm up in PA.

Definitely do, all of their beers are awesome but if you can make it when the Pumpkin is on, all the better.

My Foreign Extra Stout. Silky smooth - pure awesomeness.

I'll add my vote for Young's Double Chocolate Stout. It's good out of the bottle (CO2), but it is amazing with the N2O widget. I think the same goes for Old Speckled Hen. What can I say, I like it in the can.

I've always been a big fan of Boddington's on nitro draught - found a great English style pub named Mad Dog's when I was in San Antonio last week that had it. Must have had 6 or 7 without really realizing it :drunk:

It's not a style that you'd think of, but I had an African Amber served with nitro and it was fantastic!

And I've never even heard of an African Amber.

Ya gotta make a trip out the the Northwest for it. Great beer and it's only available on tap.

Mac and Jack's African Amber is the one I've had up in the Seattle area. Great stuff - would love to try it on nitro.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/858/3589

Wow, Mac and Jack's is an African Amber? I've had it on draft when I was in Seattle and thought it was just a local micro so I didn't have anything to research on it. Excellent beer!

Well, they call it an African Amber but it's def. not from Africa. It's a local micro.

Keep them coming guys, I am learning about all kinds of different beers you can push with nitro. I didn't know people pushed Scottish ales through there!

I've been seeing people pusing imperial IPAs through because the nitro kind of mellows them down into an IPA but different. I am a huge hop head and would love to try one with the nitro tap.

With all of your recommendations, it seems that I will be doing plenty of research with the nitro system!

Gotcha. It was really good, whatever it was. Even though it was local, is it an African Amber style beer?

I don't think there's an official "African Amber" style beer (at least not BJCP) but that's what they market it as.

To me it's just an American Amber ale. Tasty stuff.

Obviously Stout is amazing as well as Old Speckled Hen, Scottish Ales, and surprisingly dark Mild. Mmmmm. Gosh I wish I had a nitro tap, you are one lucky guy!

I recently filled a used coors home draft with a California Common. I bought some 16oz n2o cartridges for it and I think I'll give a nitro steam a try. A lot of firsts with this setup, but it could turn out really good. I guess we'll see.

I can't believe that no one has said Left Hand Milk Stout. That beer (on nirtogen) is my desert island beer. Out of the bottle, meh, there's better.

What is it about N2 that makes beer so great?

I think you can really use nitro on anything that you don't want to have a crispness to the body, like a saison. Pretty much everything else is worth a shot.

Then I'd try it with the saison anyway, just for the hell of it. :D

Good thread.

I accidentally hooked up my nitrogen to a North German Pilsner a couple of weeks ago. It tasted surprisingly good.

I have my eye on the NB Irish Blonde to try in the near future. I like lighter beers now and again to break up the usual dark stuff.

I have a honey blonde that is about to go to secondary. How do you think it would be on the nitro? Is it too light or need more carbonation to be on the nitro tap?

I brewed up a leffe clone and put it on nitro just for the hell of it. And I'm glad I did. Seriously smoooove.

Back