favorite ipa yeast? whats your go to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
ive had some really good ipas with California ale yeast. they have turned out so good that ive always used it. ive use american ale yeast too but california is my go to yeast.

what is your go to ipa yeast? im thinking of trying something different

I like White Labs San Diego Super (WLP090). It's very similar to WLP001, but I typically get 3-4% more attenuation and it flocs better. Though I would love to have a limitless supply of Conan (Heady Topper's yeast).

FYI - When people say "clean American Ale yeast" and "Cali Ale yeast", they are usually referencing the same type of yeasts: WLP001, Wyeast 1056, and Safale US-05.

I like wlp007 I enjoy a good malt backbone with my hops. 007 does the trick.

US-05. It costs a lot less, it produces a neutral ale flavor across a wide temperature range, no need for a starter, it easily ferments high OG wort down to 1.010 or below, and it lets the hops come through on the finished beer. My only complaint is that it does not floccuate well. I can get a clear IPA, but it takes a long cold conditioning phase and gelatin. IPA's are pretty easy beers to make, so I don't fool around with any other yeast. I mostly play around with the hop additions, and to an extent the grain bill, when I want to change things up a bit.

I use california ale yeast about 90% of the time for my IPA's. When I want to change it up a bit I use English Ale WLP002. It gives it a bit more malt and fruity characteristic to the beer and leaves it super clear. It's a great yeast.

Got a brew with Conan Yeast from Heady Topper. Already my favorite and haven't even tasted it yet. The yeast cake looks like the spirally short pasta.

I just used the new Danstar BRY-97 West Coast Ale Yeast for my Citrade Pale Ale and it came out fantastic. May use it again when I make an IPA in the near future. Haven't heard many people talk about this yeast.

US05 is my fav. One of the fermentors from my last batch of IIPA was dosed with WLP002 and it turned out great. I mashed low (148) and the attenuation was good, beer is clear and quite hoppy. I'd use it again.

I like US-05 and hate US-05. It is clean and leaves a nice hop flavor. However the !@#$ stuff won't floc except with cold crashing/gelatin more often than not. As such I like to use Notty with a high pitch rate to get a really clean ferment and it flocs like a champ!

509inc said:
Got a brew with Conan Yeast from Heady Topper. Already my favorite and haven't even tasted it yet. The yeast cake looks like the spirally short pasta.

I've done 2 DIPAs with Conan and they are 2 of the best IPAs I have ever brewed. I am going to brew a 10 gallon DiPA soon and slip it between 001 and Conan for comparison. But I am planning on keeping Conan around for quite some time.

I've made some fantastic IPAs with Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast. Try to hit 62.F and it will be pretty damn amazing.

WLP007 for me. Clean in the low 60's, mild fruity esters in the upper 60's. Ferments fast and drops like a ton of bricks. Speaking of which, I have a starter of WLP007 rolling right now for a IIPA this weekend:rockin:
IMG_20130212_174221_zpsfa45c005.jpg

+1 S-05 here. Haven't had issues with floc but then I use whirlfloc in the boil and cold crash 1 day before bottling.

On a side note - hope to try Pacman and some others to compare.

+1 Pacman. It provides my beers and nice "bright" flavor, and hops come through very well. It beat 1056 and 1272 in split batch blind tastings I set up.

I've made some fantastic IPAs with Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast. Try to hit 62.F and it will be pretty damn amazing.

I just used the White Labs Kolsch strain (029?) for a DIPA and I was very pleased with the results. I fermented a little cooler than you do because my ferm chamber was tied up with other stuff, but I would go for 62 if I did it again. I liked the esters I got and would have liked a little more of them.

I just used the White Labs Kolsch strain (029?) for a DIPA and I was very pleased with the results. I fermented a little cooler than you do because my ferm chamber was tied up with other stuff, but I would go for 62 if I did it again. I liked the esters I got and would have liked a little more of them.

Yeah, the reason I said that is that I did an american wheat and wanted to go REALLY clean, tried it at 58.F and got a really strange lychee-ish winey aroma. Only beer I ever made that I couldn't finish. What temp did you do yours at?

WLP007 for me. Clean in the low 60's, mild fruity esters in the upper 60's. Ferments fast and drops like a ton of bricks. Speaking of which, I have a starter of WLP007 rolling right now for a IIPA this weekend:rockin:
IMG_20130212_174221_zpsfa45c005.jpg

Couldnt have said it better. Im pretty much done with Cal Ale yeast.

In order for an IPA....

1) US-05 --cheap, easy, fast. (I keep about 8 packs on hand for nearly any type of beer).
2) White Labs 007 --Dry English Ale---if I have some (which I currently don't)
3) Wyeast 1764-- Pacman--made a stone ruination clone and hit my gravity numbers with it--attenuates at around 80-82% for me--harvested some of this and will use again soon.

Back