Favorite Brew....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
What has been your favorite beer to brew and why....Let's get it going, this will be my entertainment at work tonight :rockin:

I haven't done many batches, but my favorite one to brew so far was the bells Oberon clone. It was my first mini-mash, and it felt so much more hands on than extract! My blood orange hefe is quite delicious though! It's a toss up, but I love brewing them all!

What has been your favorite beer to brew and why....Let's get it going, this will be my entertainment at work tonight :rockin:

Have to say some rendition of Ed Worts Haus Pale Ale. It's easy, it's good, it's all gone:(

The IPA that I make, and call a "DFH 60 minute clone". I'm not sure it's a close clone, but it is definitely my favorite brew.

I saw your recipe, but I don't think that I could babysit the BK for the continuous hop additions. I do like me some DFH 60-min though.

The IPA that I make, and call a "DFH 60 minute clone". I'm not sure it's a close clone, but it is definitely my favorite brew.
+1.. I have never had a dogfish 60 but have tried some of your recipes with success and tried this one.. pretty damned good!!!

I've only done a handful of batches and my favorite was Jamil's Hefeweizen.

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
OG: 1.051
IBU: 12.3

6lb wheat malt
4lb pislner

(For extract, just use 6.5lbs dry wheat extract)

1 oz hallertauer (3%) - 60
.5oz hallertauer (3%) - 15

Wyeast 3068 (with 2L starter)

Mash at 152 for 60 min. Double batch sparge, no mashout. 90 min boil

Ferment for 14 days at 65F. Rack to keg, or bottle. Drink young.

The thing is this beer tasted like crap 3 months after bottling. Although I know it's characteristic for Hefes to be cloudy and have that yeast twang, to me it was just too overpowering. Needless to say, over the course of the next few months I drank my whole batch with each brew tasting better than the last. It wasn't until about 3 weeks ago that I opened the last of that batch. This was almost 10 months after brewday. All I can say is WOW. All of The yeast had settled and the beer cleared completely. The head was light but lasting. The nose and taste? that hefe yeast twang that's so common to the style was there but distant and in the background melding with the soft and noble Hallertauer. The finish? Crisp and refreshing like a cool sea breeze in the heat of the sun. The brew morphed from a cloudy Hefe to a brilliantly clear Krystalweizen. It was one of the nicest and evenly balanced, tasteful wheat beers I have ever tasted.

Yeah I like to brew Hefeweizens. Something about working with wheat that feels almost primordial that I don't get when brewing strictly with barley. I love my Hefes.

Back