Favorite American Wheat Ale Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pascal

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find many American Wheat Ale mini-mash recipes on this site. I'm hoping to make something more or less in line with Big Rock's Grasshopper Wheat Ale, although my intent is not to try and clone that beer, just make a nice drinkable wheat ale. Can you send me in the right direction or post a recipe for your favorite American style Wheat Ales?
Thanks!
P.

I'm not familiar with Big Rock's Grasshopper Wheat, but I do like me American ales! I took a stab at converting my usual AG recipe into a partial mash recipe with a full boil...

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.80 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4.00 lb               Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)        Dry Extract   5        47.1 %        
4.00 lb               Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                Grain         1        47.1 %        
1.0 pkg               Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]       Yeast         8        -             
0.50 lb               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)    Grain         2        5.9 %         
0.25 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min     Hop           6        8.1 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - First Wort 20.0 m Hop           4        10.8 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           7        3.5 IBUs      
0.50 lb               Rice Hulls (unfermentable) (Mash 60.0 mi Other         3        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 8.50 lb
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 1.46 gal of water at 164.8 F        150.0 F       60 min

I usually add a little gypsum & CaCl to the mash water along with 25% distilled water, and again 25% distilled in the boil water... for my water profile, it seems to help in really light beers.

I also like this recipe with 1# of honey during cooldown (around 125-F)..

The Nottingham and low mash temps are to keep it dry & crisp, but you could certain use US-05 and/or a slightly higher mash temp...

Anyways, just one starting point out of many ... Good luck and let us know what you end up with!
--LexusChris

How much can you mash? 4-5lbs?

That works nicely with my American Wheat partial mash I've been doing for years!

2 lbs Briess 2-row Brewers Malt
2 lbs Briess White Wheat Malt

Single-infusion mash at 152F. Batch sparge to collect 3 gallons in kettle. 60 minute boil.

Hops:

1 oz Willamette pellets - 60
0.5 oz Willamette pellets - 5

Add 3 lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat dry malt extract at flameout.

Chill. Ferment with S-05.

OG 1.045
IBU ~22

A hint of earthy hops flavor and aroma melds well with the tang of the wheat. Drinks well on its own merits, and is also an excellent base for the addition of fruit flavoring. ;)

Cheers! :mug:

Bob

I do basically the same thing as Bob (50/50 2-row/wheat) except I use continental hops and bitter a bit less. Hallertau works very well. It's generic, but very drinkable.

Hallertau or Tettnanger are also good wheat beer hops. I would recommend US-05 for the yeast, it is very clean/neutral. There are other yeasts that would give more wheat character, maybe someone else can help you with that if that is what you want.

I have Nottingham on hand and I see that Lexus has used it so I think I'll go with that yeast. I currently have 2lbs of wheat and 2row mashing and I have Willamette hops so their going into this first go.

LexusChris, thanks so much for the conversion! I'm going to try this recipe once I pick up the supplies.:mug:

Not used to adding the extract at the end of the boil and started cooling it with my chiller prior to noticing it was still waiting to be added. I also ended up missing my FG after it was added. Expected 1.050 and ended at 1.040. Woops. Perhaps I should have stuck with coffee and not home brew until the end.

Back