Favorite airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Airlock

• Bubbler

• Three piece

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I like the "S" type bubbler air lock for the reason of being able to clearly see activity better, as even with a slow ferment, you can still see the water level moving better than waiting for the 3 piece to rise and release a bubble. And they arent that hard to clean. Just soak em a bit and rinse them by holding them upside down when you run the hot water through them. They flow like crazy when they are inverted.

Of course the 3 piece cannibalized makes a great blow off tube.

I use both I use the 3 piece in the primary and the bubbler in the secondary for exactly the reasons stated above seeing the water level better. And when I clean em I soak em and I atach my siphon hose to my bottle washer and the bubbler fit's nicely into the siphon hose I actually clipped a bit of my shiphon hose off so I can attach my racking cane to the sipon hose and the bubbler to the racking cane I clean all three in one shot!!!

I use them all (including a blow-off tube), but the 3 piece is usually what you will find on my fermenters. If I do a starter, I use the bubbler type. I rigged a 2 liter soda bottle and drilled a hole in the cap so the bubbler fits right in nice and tight. If I am expecting a vigorous ferment or have simply run out of airlocks, then blow-off tube it is.

I voted for 3 piece (also changed the poll for you, cheese :) ) because I find it easy and I trust it.

Back