Faux Lager with Canadian accent??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Even though I have a low tech lagering setup I still don't think I am ready to do a lager yet. My latest issue of the Northern Brewer catalog says you can use a clean ale yeast fermented on the low temp end like Wyeast 1056, 2112, or White Labs 001. Would you guys say these do give you a lager like flavor and would it work in something like a Canadian Lager like a Moose Head or Molson clone? I can't get the taste profile down in my mind if those flavors are driven by hops or sulfur? What say you?

While were at it why do kit makers and recepe books avoid Canadian Lagers? For instance Jamil doesn't have an example of one in Brewing Classic Styles that I can seem to find. Are they difficult to brew?

I'd imagine they're similar to brewing American style lagers, which aren't always easy to brew at home. Though Jamil has a recipe for one in his book

My latest issue of the Northern Brewer catalog says you can use a clean ale yeast fermented on the low temp end like Wyeast 1056, 2112, or White Labs 001. Would you guys say these do give you a lager like flavor and would it work in something like a Canadian Lager like a Moose Head or Molson clone? I can't get the taste profile down in my mind if those flavors are driven by hops or sulfur? What say you?

Have you considered using a Kolsch-style yeast? White labs WLP029 might give you that flavor profile you are seeking.

By the way "Faux Lager with Canadian Accent" would be an amusing name for this beer if you do concoct a viable recipe that fits the style you're after

Cause some folks are afraid of Canadians. :) That's why they're a scourge that must be eliminated.

220px-Canadian_Bacon.jpg

Seriously, unless you're like us and close to Canada, I wonder how much exposure to Canadian beers some folks have. But a lager is a lager is a lager, a Canadian one is no more difficult than an American or a German one.

I just googled and found clone recipe out there. Like this Labatt's Blue Clone.

Thanks guys. I will try this Moosehead Mini-mash clone I have with Kolsch yeast and see what happens.

Thanks guys. I will try this Moosehead Mini-mash clone I have with Kolsch yeast and see what happens.

If you remember, post your results! I've heard this yeast makes a very clean, very lager-like ale and I'd like to know your thoughts on it.

Latest posts

Back