Faucets don't seem to fit shanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyjerky214

Reaction score
I tried out my new kegging system last night. I got a 5-tap ball lock system with Perlick faucets from KegConnection.com

Everything seemed to be great until I started to pump the sanitizer through the faucet. When the faucet was open, it was fine, but when I tried to close it, the sanitizer stared pouring out of the 4 holes on the part of the shank that screws onto the faucet. I've been looking at them this morning, and it seems like they don't fit on the faucets properly. The faucets don't really slide onto the shanks at all. If I push really hard, they will stay on, but they just kind of sit on the edge and don't really fit over the teeth at the end of the shank like it looks like they should.

Am I doing something wrong? Are there different types of shanks and maybe I got the wrong ones? Could it be that the teeth on the faucets are bad?

Sounds like those four holes are for the coupling nut. If you have a faucet wrench loosen it up, line up the faucet with the shank then tighten it back up. If you do not have a faucet wrench carefully without much pressure use a soft cloth inside pliers/vice grips whatever.

I do not think your faucets are correctly mating with the shanks by the sounds of it.

He that helps.

perlicks are notorious for not seating well with some shanks, mostly the chrome ones. I have had this issue myself. For me it was taking it apart and trying to get the teeth lined and seated well. Then its a matter of tightening the coupling nut as much as you can. It took me a couple times of loosening/tightening to get one of mine seated properly.

Thought some pictures might help. This is as far as I can get it on the shank.

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Do I just need to tighten the hell out of the coupling to pull it all the way on?

When properly inserted you should barely see the splines on the shank, if at all. I've never had an issue with random shanks and perlicks, but it sounds as if some have, perhaps they aren't compatible? Also make sure your gasket is seated properly, it should snap into a groove inside the faucet,

Thanks for that link, JuanMoore, don't know how I missed that one. Looks like KegConneciton will be getting a call first thing Monday morning. Hopefully they can get me something that works in time for a party I'm throwing next weekend. Really wanted to have my keezer up and running by then. I'll be really pissed if I have to try to borrow picnic taps from a few people.

Back