Faucet covers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slogger

Reaction score
For those of you that use them, do you fill them with anything before you put them on your faucets?
I’ve never used them before but the kegorator is now in the garage and I don’t want any critters getting into the faucets.
I knew a guy who used them for this very reason. He filled them with something but I can’t remember if it was star san, rubbing alcohol, vodka etc, but I remember it was clear.

No rubbing alcohol. Really I don’t think using any sanitizer is necessary unless perhaps it would be unused for an extended period of time.

No rubbing alcohol. Really I don’t think using any sanitizer is necessary unless perhaps it would be unused for an extended period of time.
That’s the other reason. I Don’t drink on school nights or at least try not to. Im back to brewing after a 6 year hiatus. Before I was an every day drinker. Not abusive but I liked my beer.
So...any thoughts on what I can use?
what say you HBT community?

That’s the other reason. I Don’t drink on school nights or at least try not to. Im back to brewing after a 6 year hiatus. Before I was an every day drinker. Not abusive but I liked my beer.
So...any thoughts on what I can use?
what say you HBT community?
Well, some people use brush plugs which allows the inside of the faucet to dry so mold and gook shouldn’t form and large insects won’t get in. The caps make sure nothing gets in, perhaps giving the faucet a spray of starsan then capping it would suffice, (would be pretty easy to do) clean out the beer beforehand leaves nothing to attract insects and removes the last drop of beer.

Well, some people use brush plugs which allows the inside of the faucet to dry so mold and gook shouldn’t form and large insects won’t get in. The caps make sure nothing gets in, perhaps giving the faucet a spray of starsan then capping it would suffice, (would be pretty easy to do) clean out the beer beforehand leaves nothing to attract insects and removes the last drop of beer.

This is what I do...but it based on reading something similar somewhere. First kegerator, so I'm just figuring it all out. When I'm done for the night, I spray a brush plug with Star San and place a spare cup under the faucet I'm "cleaning" In/Out a couple times, repeat once. Cover up the tower w/a micro fiber cloth, shake off excess Star San and place the brush on the drip tray. I'll either wait overnight, or a couple hours and then place either the dried brush, or a spare into the spout.

I probably lean towards this being an ok process based on seeing some local breweries doing a similar thing when shutting down their taps for the night.

I used to use the plug brushes dipped in StarSan, but my beer started tasting funny. When I stopped using them, the off flavor went away. Even though my Keezer is in my garage, I don't use any caps at all and don't have any bug or other problems. I also don't drink on work nights, so my beer taps go unused Monday through Thursday.

From my experience, faucet covers are the way to go especially if you keep your keezer in the garage as I do. After dispensing, I rinse the cover and faucet with one spritz from a spray bottle filled with cheap vodka, drain the cover and seal the faucet. This rinses most of the sugars away. Starsan would probably work as well. Never had anything but clean pours even after many days.

Prior to adopting this process I tried the brushes, which I found to hold onto trace amounts of beer and to eventually grow mold - yuck. Also, on a few occasions, I have gone into the garage at night only to witness a critter hanging out on the faucet. Having the extra protection of the faucet cover is quite reassuring.

I simply use a squirt bottle which I have heated and formed the squirter to flow straight up. I fill it with StarSans sol'n and when I'm done for the night, I give the faucet(s) a couple of squirts as far up into the faucet as possible. I was surprised when I started doing this at just how much beer comes back out with the StarSans (which is why I do 2-3 squirts), especially in the narrower nitro faucets. Use a rag or paper towel around the faucet while squirting to catch the runoff. I then rinse out the caps with water and squirt some SS into them. Give both faucets and caps a little while to drain out, and put the caps on. Takes no time at all, and is well worth doing.

I feel like a lazy slob now. I just put them on when the faucet is not being used for a while. I have Vent matic faucets, if that matters. No cleaning or sanitizing, but flushed with whatever will be tapped next.

Y'all are gonna be grossed out, but I use the rubber caps and don't sanitize them unless they get nasty. Whenever I pull a pint I dump whatever has accumulated in the cap on the garage floor where it is quickly licked up by one of the dogs, unless I forget and splash it onto my shirt. I do replace them biannually as they get kinda gross after a while and they are relatively cheap.

Meh, not grossed out at all. Faucets brushes used as "caps" - THAT grosses me out.

I've use the rubber covers on my 525ss faucets for many years. The faucets always provide three post-pour drips. After catching the third in my glass the cover goes on. When I pour from that faucet again I dump anything that collected in the cover in a plastic cup stationed under my stout faucet (anyone that has one knows why)...

Cheers!

Back