Faucet Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I have looked and read all about how to clean out your beer lines and I plan on running some BLC through the lines after the next keg kicks the dust. My question though is about the Faucet. I figure that some amount of beers stays there after each beer and has the potential for nasties to grow. If I stick my finger in the tap, sometimes some I pull out a brownish gunk which I would rather not drink. Is a hot water rinse/sanitizer enough or to I need to take apart the whole shank and boil to get a real clean?

They sell faucet brushes.. if they get nasty enough, you can take the shank and faucet and soak it in the sink with hot water. That should get it pretty clean. What kind of faucet do you have? Before I got Perlicks, I ran at least 10x 1/2 barrels through my old kegerator with its cheapo faucet and only cleaned it once =)

I have looked and read all about how to clean out your beer lines and I plan on running some BLC through the lines after the next keg kicks the dust. My question though is about the Faucet. I figure that some amount of beers stays there after each beer and has the potential for nasties to grow. If I stick my finger in the tap, sometimes some I pull out a brownish gunk which I would rather not drink. Is a hot water rinse/sanitizer enough or to I need to take apart the whole shank and boil to get a real clean?

I mix up BLC, put it in pump bottle (I use one intended for weed killer), remove the faucet and keg connector, and put them in a bucket. I then run the BLC through the line, catching it in the bucket. The connector and faucet soak for a few minutes, and then I use a brush to clean them. Doesn't take long, keeps it pretty clean.

I do take the tap apart from time-to-time, but I don't tend to get too much build-up in there.

Back