Faucet Adapter - Home Depot can't help, can you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mook

Reaction score
My landlord just renovated the kitchen in my apartment, and I now have a new sink/faucet with a different size threading (pic below) that I am having trouble connecting to my immersion chiller. (I am sure I am the only one in the building complaining about my brand new sink).

Home Depot helped me put together a series of fittings to go from 3/8" NPT to garden hose threading. However, it seems the faucet threading is SLIGHTLY smaller than 3/8" NPT, so I can screw it in barely enough to keep it in place, and it leaks/sprays quite a bit. I went back to Home Depot and they said that's the best I can do without going below the sink and adding a splitter, which my lease specifically says I cannot do.

Any thoughts?

This isn't the exact faucet head, but very similar:
51nQW9OivAL._SL1300_.jpg

If it's threads on, but leaks, it is likely metric thread. Metric isn't tapered and needs an additional seal.

If it's threads on, but leaks, it is likely metric thread. Metric isn't tapered and needs an additional seal.
It doesn't really thread on, I get maybe a quarter of a turn.

if it is like that one, you're going to have some trouble.

Maybe get an aerator converter and run cooling from your bathroom sink if it is close enough....

You cannot modify it by putting a a splitter on it, but can you just undo the cold side, then hook it up to your hose, and then reconnect it? I apartment brew also, and I just go under the sink un hook the cold side use 2 adapters to hook it to garden hose. Then after chilling reconnect everything.

I might even put a quick connect on the cold sink connection and on your chiller supply. Then it's a quick pop off under the sink and hook up to your chiller.

OR plumb a y fitting in there with a shutoff that you can just hook up to without disconnecting the faucet.

Get a submersible pump and an ice chest . Problem solved :yes:

This can actually be a really cheap option........and if you don't pay for water use you can make a pre-chiller with an extra immersion chiller or just make a coil of copper and fill your sink up and keep it flowing.

NOTE: Not environmentally OK....but this is beer we're talking about.

A pump that would work for this would be under $14....you're just moving tap water temps at low PSI

Actually I save water . I fill with ice and water . Hook up lines to the chiller and run it . The water is really hot at first and I capture in a bucket for cleaning. Once the water isnt too hot reroute the water back into the ice chest . Your using the same water . Just add ice as you go if needed.

Problem finally solved - it has the threading of a flare fitting. However, there isn't really room for the flare itself, so it doesn't screw in fully, but I get at least a full rotation, more than any of the other fittings I tried.

Appreciate all the suggestions.

Back