Fat Tire Clone Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
I was looking for some opinions/suggestions on what is going on with my Fat Tire clone at the moment.

It has been sitting in the primary now for 2 1/2 weeks. I checked my gravity after the first week and it gave me 1.018 after checking it again today right at a week and a half later i have come up with the same gravity reading 1.018. So i believe it is safe to assume that my beer is either finished or stuck. Also i need to mention that i missed the OG and it ended up being 1.060.

So i gave my Fat Tire Sample a taste and it tasted a little sweet at first then came a very bitter following. Leaving a bitter taste lasting in my mouth.

Can anyone tell me why i might be getting such a bitter bite to this beer?. I understand all the hops that were used and it is hoppy a beer, but i do not remember it being this bitter.I made an Amber Ale a couple months ago and it turned out bitter as well. It improved over time but not what i would call a good beer. Any suggestions or opinions.

The recipe i used was an extract kit.

3 oz Biscuit Malt
1/2 lb Crystal Malt
1/4lb Victory Malt
6 oz Munich Malt
7 lbs Extra Pale Extract
3/4 oz Northern Brewer
1/2 oz Hersbrucker
1/4 oz Willamette
Nottingham Ale Yeast.
OG 1.050 - FG 1.012

I soaked all the grains in 2.5 gallons of water for 23 minutes removed grain bag and brought the water to a (StoveTop) boil. It appears to be a decent rolling boil. I added entire 7 .lbs of Extra Pale Extract after bringing the 2.5 gallons to a boil and let it boil for 60 minutes.

run your recipe through a online beer calculator, it will give you IBU's and depending on your personal taste you can alter your recipe

I soaked all the grains in 2.5 gallons of water for 23 minutes removed grain bag and brought the water to a (StoveTop) boil. It appears to be a decent rolling boil. I added entire 7 .lbs of Extra Pale Extract after bringing the 2.5 gallons to a boil and let it boil for 60 minutes.

Well, with a 2.5 gallon boil, you should have approximately 19 IBUs with an OG of 1.050 or so (not 1.060, unless you only made 4.25 gallons). That's a pretty low hopped beer, and I think you're just tasting some harsh notes that will mellow out nicely. Northern Brewer hops can be harsh when a beer is young, but then will smooth out. This beer will not be bitter when finished. It should be low hopped and a bit sweet if it finished at 1.018.

Back