Fat Tire aftertase? Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casebrew

Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought a Fat Tire yesterday. It seemed to have a slightly metalic aftertast. Is it from the yeast? Reason I ask is my homebrew has it too, only more so. I'm brewing Brown Rye, with Nottinghams. And 1/2c molasses. Aging helps. I'm also suspect of some matel equipment...

I know what you're taking about, but I can't nail it down. I do know Fat Tire is my favorite pepperoni pizza beer.

i just brewed a FT clone and used Whitelabs CA Ale Yeast...came out pretty close...not really a metallic taste, however.

The only aftertaste I get is biscuit..

Though I recall some folks thinking that biscuit tastes metallic.. so that could be it.

From the horse's mouth ... Bouckaert advises that you pay particular attention to the malt bill and the aging process. "We have a malt character that asks for a lot of light-colored malts," he says. "Specialty, Munich and light caramel malts comprise up to 30 percent. For the signature toasted biscuit flavor of this brown-amber beer, add from 5 to 10 percent of malts with a nutty character." ... "The beer should look clear, have low carbonation and give off a malty, fruity aroma with hints of bread crust. It should leave a toasted flavor on the palate."

Bread crust??

Back