Fastest 5 gallon fermentation time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robby6pack

Reaction score
What is the fastest time that you have had in a 5 gallon batch?

3 days from what sounded like a rolling boil (a little exaggerated) thinking the vapor lock was going to pop the top to dead calm for me.

4-5 days seems like it is done, but if you look real close towards the bottom you will see some activity, which means it is cleaning up down there and packing in. I have in a pinch where I needed some room have transferred into a keg 7 days. Pref going at least 10 to pick up those last few points at the bottom

With a big pitch of my house yeast (WLP090), an under 1.060 ale is routinely at terminal gravity in 3 days or a bit less. I do raise the temp for at least 24 hours thereafter to ensure that there’s no diacetyl, but with spunding my beers I can go from boil kettle to chilled, carbed, and ready to drink in about 8 days.

It depends on the yeast and temperature but I've had some finish in 1-3 days. Typically my ales are done in 5 days or less and ready to package.

I've seen posts from other members with kveik ales finished in under 24 hours.

holy mother of god! ;)

sounds more like a stuck ferment thingy......lol

thanks for the reference, i might try cleaning up my turbo yeast and repitching it in beer.....

FG = uh first gravity, yeah that’s what I meant!

8 oz in 6 gal of beer isn’t that crazy.

Oslo:
upload_2020-3-14_17-58-2.jpeg

US-05 (one packet):
upload_2020-3-14_17-59-50.jpeg

A24:
upload_2020-3-14_18-1-9.jpeg

L17:
upload_2020-3-14_18-2-2.jpeg

I brewed a pretty big (1.068) porter last Saturday that I pitched onto a Nottingham yeast cake, that was done in about 72 hours. It also made a complete gross mess of my ferment fridge, with a clogged blowoff. Just kegged it today, estimated FG was 1.018 and it was at 1.020. Tastes fantastic.

Quick newbie question as a tag on to this previous discussion - once FG is reached and stable for a couple days, am I good to bottle?
Probably.
Some beers benefit from a little bulk aging.
Yeast are living things and don't always follow the rules, so anything is really possible, but it should be safe to bottle under those conditions.

Quick newbie question as a tag on to this previous discussion - once FG is reached and stable for a couple days, am I good to bottle?
Generally, yes!
When both conditions are met (my emphasis) ^, it should be OK to bottle. Usually when gravity readings, taken 3 days apart, are the same.
When you're using fermentation temp control makes sure to raise the temps a few degrees (4-6F) toward the end to ensure she will finish out. The slightly higher temps also help the yeast with conditioning, cleaning up.

Probably.
Some beers benefit from a little bulk aging.
Yeast are living things and don't always follow the rules, so anything is really possible, but it should be safe to bottle under those conditions.

Can you (or anyone) shed some more light on the difference between bulk aging and aging in a bottle?

Just trying to wrap my head around what yeast that have flocced out (ie bulk aging) would provide versus the yeast still in suspension (ie bottle aging).

Saturday to Saturday - Brewed on first saturday, was drinking it from the keg the next. Kveik hot is a miracle for grain to glass records. Was an IPA with a dry hop 12 hours in, still finished fast, left in fermentor until Wednesday primarily for more hop contact time. 24hrs on 30PSI, then set to serving pressure Thursday night. Tasted great on Saturday !!

Can you (or anyone) shed some more light on the difference between bulk aging and aging in a bottle?

Just trying to wrap my head around what yeast that have flocced out (ie bulk aging) would provide versus the yeast still in suspension (ie bottle aging).
I don't know why it works. Maybe because there is an airlock that allows off-gassing?

Purely anecdotal but in 2013 I brewed 2 batches of Caribou Slobber. One was in primary for 2 weeks before bottling. The second was in primary for 3 weeks. The 2-week version seemed to peak at 3 months in the bottle while the 3-week version seemed to peak around 6 weeks in the bottle. Totally possible there was another factor responsible though.

Autolysis. That's about it.
At homebrew scale autolysis is not really an issue for the first 3-6 weeks. Even up to 3 months may be acceptable.

But there's also an increasing chance of oxidation during that conditioning time.

Now "bulk aging" may have benefits by allowing more yeast and other suspended matter to precipitate, providing for cleaner beer going into the bottles, perhaps for better aging characteristics.

I bulk age in kegs, and there's always some sludge formation on the bottom.

My record is just over 30 hours to ferment. 24 hours to cold crash with gelatine and 24 more to carb. Voss Kveik yeast. A tad cloudy but it was an awesome beer. The last one was under 3 days, I used the horningdal. Tropical goodness.
IMG-20200523-WA0000.jpeg

I don't know why it works. Maybe because there is an airlock that allows off-gassing?

Purely anecdotal but in 2013 I brewed 2 batches of Caribou Slobber. One was in primary for 2 weeks before bottling. The second was in primary for 3 weeks. The 2-week version seemed to peak at 3 months in the bottle while the 3-week version seemed to peak around 6 weeks in the bottle. Totally possible there was another factor responsible though.

That sounds like confirmation bias at play.

At homebrew scale autolysis is not really an issue for the first 3-6 weeks. Even up to 3 months may be acceptable.

But there's also an increasing chance of oxidation during that conditioning time.

Now "bulk aging" may have benefits by allowing more yeast and other suspended matter to precipitate, providing for cleaner beer going into the bottles, perhaps for better aging characteristics.

I bulk age in kegs, and there's always some sludge formation on the bottom.

Maybe homebrewers have just been conditioned to enjoy the taste of lightly oxidized beer :)

I beg to differ... In any case the fact remains that yeast that has dropped out can only contribute something to the beer through autolysis and in not other way.

Yep, that factor is increased oxidation in the batch that spent a longer time in the fermenter. Unless it's a sealed, pressurized fermenter then O2 is getting in there and the longer it stays there the more O2 will get in the beer.

Care to share recipe? Just started using horningdal after using voss for a long time.
Sure. It was a 5-gal batch (volume into keg) with 4.5# golden promise, 2# torrefied wheat, 2# flaked wheat, 1# flakes oats, and 18IBU of centennial at 60’ then a 5’ addition of 1.0oz centennial alongside the 1.0oz crushed coriander and 1oz sweet orange peel. I actually just redid this recipe but did a hefty WP dose of centennial, cut the coriander and orange peel, and used Granvin kveik. Will keg in a couple days to see how it turned out.

Sure. It was a 5-gal batch (volume into keg) with 4.5# golden promise, 2# torrefied wheat, 2# flaked wheat, 1# flakes oats, and 18IBU of centennial at 60’ then a 5’ addition of 1.0oz centennial alongside the 1.0oz crushed coriander and 1oz sweet orange peel. I actually just redid this recipe but did a hefty WP dose of centennial, cut the coriander and orange peel, and used Granvin kveik. Will keg in a couple days to see how it turned out.
Nice! Please keep us updated, I'm always looking for new stuff to try. Looks interesting with the koriander and peel. Sorry if I'm a moron but when you write 4.5# golden promise, what does that actually mean? I'm used to %.

Well, last week I top-cropped some K-97 from an active fermentation into an altbier. It was on the warmer side but still within reason at 70F. A little over 1 day start to finish. That's pitching to flatlined.

Nice! Please keep us updated, I'm always looking for new stuff to try. Looks interesting with the koriander and peel. Sorry if I'm a moron but when you write 4.5# golden promise, what does that actually mean? I'm used to %.
It means pounds. For percentage just divide each number by 9.5 (the total number of pounds of grist in the recipe); so 47.3% Golden Promise, 21% each flakes wheat and torrefied wheat, and 10.5% flakes oats, in this case.

Back