Faster way to remove painted labels from bottles!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSOE_HomeBrew

Reaction score
I experimented with 3 different types of CLR type products on the blue nittany ale bottles. I used the normal CLR(4.07$) , Lime away thick gel formula for toilets(1.99$) and Lime away spray formula (3.45$). I placed a bottle into a full cup of each solution until the label was gone.

The norlmal CLR was by far the worst and the spray formula was a tad bit better. The greatest by far was the Lime away gel it removed the labels in under a 5 minute soak.

Just thought i would let you guys know what i found to be the cheapest and best method (at least from my experiment).

I experimented with 3 different types of CLR type products on the blue nittany ale bottles. I used the normal CLR(4.07$) , Lime away thick gel formula for toilets(1.99$) and Lime away spray formula (3.45$). I placed a bottle into a full cup of each solution until the label was gone.

The norlmal CLR was by far the worst and the spray formula was a tad bit better. The greatest by far was the Lime away gel it removed the labels in under a 5 minute soak.

Just thought i would let you guys know what i found to be the cheapest and best method (at least from my experiment).

I just use a metal scouring pad and it works well on most bottles. It doesn't work on Arrogant Bastard bottles, but works great on Dead Guy Ale bottles. I haven't tried it on anything else.

This is exactly what I use.
product2.jpg

I heard red stripe bottles are tough but it wouldnt hurt to try. For 1.99 if it works awesome but if it doesn't you can keep your toilet spotless. ;) Let me know if it works!

Red stripe bottles are sexy. I'd love to be able put some home brew in them....now I just need to find someone who will drink it.

I soak mine for a couple days in water before using a scouring pad just like the one dfc shows. I just fill up an ice chest with them and fill with water. Generally not too hard to do though I find best to spread out the removal over a couple of days. Depending on brand some come off pretty clean with little need for scrubbing and other take a lot of effort. New Belgium bottles have worked well for me this way.

I'm not in a huge hurry, I fill a bucket with a sub average ratio of oxy and drown about 15 bottles, come back in a couple of hours and their done. Probably takes less time but I usually forget about it for a while.

Back