Faster to carb up or bleed off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ski12568

Reaction score
I am trying to get my carbonation on point before I bottle a couple beers for a competition. I'm sitting a little low right now. I know ideally I would get it to the correct pressure and wait, but I'm a little pressed for time. Is it quicker to over carbonate and then let the psi settle down to the vols I want, or set it where I want and wait a day or two, or it doesn't matter? Thanks for the help

There is more than one way to approach this. The "safe" route is to set the pressure based off of your target and what your temperature is. However, you can speed it up if you momentarily increase your pressure, shake or roll to increase surface area and then back down the pressure down. If you overshoot, then you are back to releasing CO2 over time. I personally use the "fast" method and have great results, but there is an art to getting it right without overshooting. I listen to bubbles and back down pressure. And, honestly, when I start from 0 CO2, I crank up to 40 or 50 PSI initially, but finish out in the teens. Use this method at you own risk! lol

Back