Faster than Usual Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASpeedyGTO

Reaction score
Hi Folks -

Thanks for reading my post. Quick fermentation question...just made an Irish Red and used liquid yeast for the first time [WLP 004 Irish Ale]. It took a good 36 hours to start showing airlock activity, but when it did, it seemed noticeably highly active and only seemed to last about a day. I've always had good experience with dry yeast usually IME the fermentation is a little calmer and lasts several days....I guess my expectations were similar but I have no other basis for comparison since this was my first time using liquid.

Is this unusual? A few more details:
- I have NOT yet taken a gravity reading.....am going to check at the end of the week
- I did NOT make a starter, and the yeast was well within it's useful dates
- I pitched at 79F, then immediately sealed and cooled it to 66F with my brew bucket's FTSs. It has not gotten above 67F.
- I oxygenated with an O2 tank & SS wand with diffuser; approximately 45 - 60 seconds at more than a "simmer" but not a "rolling boil"
- not sure if this matters, but the OG was 1.045 and grist was a combo of maris otter, two types of crystal, little bit of chocolate rye [was recommended to me], and a touch of roasted barley

Thanks again, and I appreciate any thoughts from your experience(s). I know that you're not supposed to measure fermentation by airlock activity, but as a rule of thumb, I usually take it as a mild indicator of what's going on.

Your lag time was due to not making a starter. Assuming a 5 gallon batch you under pitched no matter that the labs say one pack is enough.....

One day of active is not without precedent, though it usually takes longer. Your fermentation was probably not even close to finishing when the activity stopped. I usually get several days of activity using ANY yeast. Has the krausen dropped. If not your beer is still fermenting. It is just not producing enough co2 to keep the airlock bubbling or the co2 is escaping somewhere else. Bucket? Leaky lid?

I don't find that dry yeasts are any calmer or last longer. Each yeast acts differently. Each yeast might act differently in different recipes. Each yeast may act differently (a little) in the same recipe.

As to the aeration. From what I have read you want to regulate the oxygen so that you barely get any bubbles popping on the surface. If they do that oxygen is not going into solution and you are not oxygenating the wort.

I always make a starter with any fresh yeast, just because I can't stand the slow starts I've always gotten when I pitch right from the pack.

As far as fermentation time, 004 works FAST once it gets going. The last time I made an Irish red with it the beer was at final gravity in about 52 hours. I wouldn't worry about it, and check it at the end of the week as you planned.

Back