Faster Belgian beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARCELO178

Reaction score
I Have brewed my Belgian beers with fermentis yeasts S33 and T58. They make a very good beer, I have no complains about then. But to make belgian beers take at least 4-6 months with these yeast.
My question is:
Is there a way or a yeast that make a good belgian beer faster?

Ps. I brewed a Duvel clone this week and I am really sad because I wont be able to drink it for the next 6 months!

I've had beers of a similar strength come good after about 3 months with Duvel yeast cultured from bottles and also with WLP550 and French Saison.

Lower ABV ones tend to taste better sooner but leaving them for a decent amount of time does help.

Best thing to do is try to get a production line going so you always have lots of different types of beer and don't drink them all too soon.

I have been making some lower ABV (6%) Saisons that are usually ready after 3 weeks in Primary and 3 in the bottle.

Like serum said, get a good stock going so you can let a batch age longer. I have 120+ one liter bottles of which about 60+ are ready to drink. So I can still entertain and comfortably allow the heavier beers age longer.

My question is:
Is there a way or a yeast that make a good belgian beer faster?

The answer is yes and no.

You can make a Belgian beer that is ready sooner, but it must be a very low OG beer. As the gravity goes up, then the time also increases.

I have made several low gravity Belgians and they did not require as much aging. However, like all Belgians they did improve with time. Once the gravity goes up, then you just have to wait.

Brew several so you can set some aside to age. Keep the pipeline full and it is much easier.

The answer is yes and no.

You can make a Belgian beer that is ready sooner, but it must be a very low OG beer. As the gravity goes up, then the time also increases.

I have made several low gravity Belgians and they did not require as much aging. However, like all Belgians they did improve with time. Once the gravity goes up, then you just have to wait.

Brew several so you can set some aside to age. Keep the pipeline full and it is much easier.

This is pretty much my experience too. A patersbier I make based of NB's recipe with 3787 is good young but it's only 1.050, also some saisons with 3711 that aren't too high gravity. I've made a couple tripels with 3787 that were pretty good on the young side but I do think they get something extra with age. Taste some of yours along the way to see for yourself.

also some saisons with 3711 that aren't too high gravity.

Saisons can be ready much sooner, using 3711 or Belle Saison. They do not require the aging like a Dubbel, Tripel or a BDSA. Saisons do age well though.

I brew a lot of table saisons - they are ready on a normal ale timetable, i.e. about 3 weeks from brewday to keg. Saison yeasts, especially WLP565, are also very tolerant of warm fermentation temperatures, although some people have problems with that yeast attenuating fully.

T-58 and S-33 are some of my least favorite yeasts. T-58 has a pretty low attenuation and has a tendency to get very bubblegum-forward. I have never had a S-33 beer that I liked - and the last sachets of it I saw were labeled "Lager Yeast" instead of "Brewing Yeast", which may explain that (yes, I am not confusing it with S-23).

The attenuation of T58 and S33 are around 70%, But You Can solve that adding sugar, I always adds lots of sugar, sometimes 20% of fermentables.
I have no complains about the taste of the fermentis yeasts beer, my issue is the long time that they take to make fine beer.

I am not committed to fermentis, so I will try to buy some of the yeast recomended in this post.

Thanks again!

If treated right, any Belgian can be ready a couple of weeks after bottling. I'm not saying they will not improve, just that they will be ready. If you have high alcohol flavors, or esters that will fade with time, then you have an issue with temperature control.

How long do you think Chimay or Duvel store theit bottles? They are probably on the store shelves within a couple of months of brewing, maybe faster. Storing beers is expensive on a Commercial scale.

Back