Fast pumpkin beer recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettCo124

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just curious if there is a fairly simple recipe for a pumpkin beer brew, and if someone wouldn't mind sharing. I'm pushing the limits with Halloween right around the corner, but I'd love to get a simple, tasty pumpkin beer going.

I really like southern tier pumpking and Warlock. I'd be brewing a 5 gallon batch...just never went to the homebrew store and picked out my own ingredients before. If someone wouldn't mind sharing, I'd love to get a brew day going on this weekend.

Thanks all!

Meant to title this "simple pumpkin beer recipe". I know it won't be fast lol

Easy, make a fairly simple malty pale ale, add a can of pumpkin and go EASY on the spice additions, less is more, and use a good dry yeast like 05 or 04

You brewing all grain or extract?

Pumpkin has little flavor by itself. Most of the pumpkin flavor comes from the spices used. You can simplify by just using pumpkin pie spices in your beer.

I'm gonna be 'that' guy. Don't use actual pumpkin unless you're going for body. Pumpkin doesn't actually add a lot of noticeable flavor, and if you're not careful, it can clog up your mash tun during the extraction process.

Take a look at this link here. http://homebrewacademy.com/my-wifes-pumpkin-ale/
Note* Pie Spice Tincture.

Thanks so much all! I'm going to do this tonight. I am brewing extract, so would you consider real pumpkin at all then? What/how much spices should I use? Do I just add the spices in the fermenter? Can't wait to get one of these rolling.

Search around on this site. I would advise to not use pumpkin at all, unless you're dead set on telling people "this beer actually has pumpkin in it." Only the spices lend themselves to the stereotypical pumpkin pie flavor.

Spices can be added with a few min left of the boil, or they can be added after fermentation in the form of just the spices or as a tincture.

Thanks so much all! I'm going to do this tonight. I am brewing extract, so would you consider real pumpkin at all then? What/how much spices should I use? Do I just add the spices in the fermenter? Can't wait to get one of these rolling.

Here's a quote from the article I posted:

"Pie Spice Tincture

Rather than add pumpkin pie spice straight to the beer, I usually make a “tincture”.

There are a couple of reasons I do this.

First, I've found that pumpkin pie spice doesn't really always dissolve completely into beer. It makes a weird, slimy sludge that has been known to clog up my poppet valve coming out of the keg (yuck).

Second, I get more control out of adding the “tincture” than adding dry spices. I'll add a little, the beer a try. Add some more until I get the spice flavor where I want it.

Making a spice tincture is easy. I measured out 3 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (all spice, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon) into a mason jar and then filled the jar the rest of the way with vodka. Mix well.

Let this mixture sit through primary fermentation until time to add to the beer. The solid spice will have settled to the bottom and you can either decant this off the top or use a coffee filter to separate the liquid from the solid"

--------------

You can add some spice to the last few minutes of the boil, but that tincture (or extract) is prepared 2 weeks ahead of time while the beer ferments. You add it to the bottling bucket along with your prime sugar before siphoning your fermented beer out of your carboy. However, a better method may be to add priming sugar, then siphon beer, THEN add the pumpkin spice tincture a little bit at a time, stir slowly, taste and add as you wish.

Pumpkin Pie spice (or anything like that) is used for flavor, not body.

Actual pumpkin is used for body, not flavor.

I have noticed more of an orangey color from real pumpkin but If you are brewing extract then using real pumpkin will be of little use to you unless you perform a mini mash, follow the advice of others and stick to using some spices just remember less is more, you can use the tincture method described by mycar and just add alittle at a time you can always add more but you can't take it out if you go over board

Thanks all!

My last question on this subject: I brewed an American wheat beer (4.6%). What if I added spice to those beers after I decant them and drink? Or should that be done solely in the primary fermenter?

I usually add canned pumpkin purée to the mash. Then I add some at the end of the boil as well.
And, although most home brewers frown upon this, my secret ingredient is to add a big can of Pumpkin pie filling (yes the one with the added sugar and spices) to the end of the boil. It adds a prefect mix of everything else needed.

Canned pumpkin is bland as heck and not actual pumpkin at all. It is a non-pumpkin squash substituted for the ease of processing and developing a consistent texture and color. Actual pie pumpkins, especially some of the heirloom varieties, have a good amount of flavor but it isn't the flavor most people think of with pumpkin pie or pumpkin pie spice. Most of what people think of as pumpkin pie flavor is cream, sugar and spices. If you want to track down heirloom pie pumpkins to give the beer "real pumpkin flavor" then you're probably going to have people ask why your pumpkin beer tastes like squash.

Back