Fast pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buschpilot

Reaction score
I have been hunting for this information,I am having a hard time finding
My answer, but maybe someone here can clear this up…

I have the Fast pitch the flask, and yeast… when I mix the yeast, water, and fast pitch.. do i leave it at room temp for the 12 to 18 hrs before brewing? Or would I put it in the fridge..
The instructions were very Vague, not want to screw it up… I am planning on using it to my next brew (5 gal hefeweizen extract with SafAle WB-06) in a day or two… thanx in advance for ur advice..

I mix the fast pitch, water and yeast, place on a stir plate and let it run for 12-18 hours at room temperature, then it will go in the fridge for the same amount of time that I had it on the stir plate (12-18 hours).

On brew day, I will take the flask from the fridge and let 'warm up' a little at room temperature (~3 hours) and then decant most of the wort off of the yeast slurry, aerate the wort and then pitch.

When pitching the yeast, give the flask a good swirl so that the entire slurry pours into the wort.

Last edited:
The purpose of making a starter is to propagate more yeast. Yeast do that better when it is warm. You can do as Chorgey says or just leave the flask out on the table/counter and shake it a bit every time you walk by if you don't have a stir plate. It will take a little longer to propagate as many cells without the stir plate so either start is sooner so you can chill it or just dump it all into the fermenter. Yes, starter wort doesn't taste great but you aren't doing 5 gallons of it and you probably won't be able to taste the starter once mixed into your beer.

It looks like it would be a great option to buy a stir plate… anyone have a good inexpensive recommendation?

Back