Fast Head dissipation in my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I brewed a choc coffee oatmeal stout it was a grain combo of an oatmeal stout found here and the founders breakfast stout so I added the bakers chocolate and steeped coffee into the wort at end of boil. I usually carb my beers ipas, apa's, pretty much everything with 4.5 oz corn sugar for priming then they bottle condition in 70-72deg my closet for 1-2 weeks then their pretty much ready then move to 62-64 deg basement or some into fridge. I purposely primed this at 4oz corn sugar as most stouts don't have that much carb or huge head. So the beers drinkable and tastes great for what I was after however what head I do get in this beer seems to dissipate really quick as opposed to holding even a little throughout the pint. Is this from undercarbing?? Or did I not give it enough time to carb up. When poured there will b a nice 1/2" head but then u can just watch it dissipate into bubbles. Just curious like I said beer tastes exactly what I was going for so good on that end.

I had the same experience with a chocolate stout that I used a baker's chocolate bar in. I've recently brewed a modified version of the recipe using Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder instead. I'm hoping the head will be better on this one but I won't be heart-broken if it isn't as long as the stout tastes good. I'm still a couple of weeks out from cracking a bottle so I guess we'll see then.

This probably goes without saying but make sure your glass is clean and free of oils as well. If it has been in the dishwasher...it probably has some type of grease or oil on it.

I would point my finger at the chocolate having oil in it. What's the ABV?

Thanks for the replies. I wondered if it was the chocolate oils that was causing this. So what would b the best way to avoid this the next time I brew this???

Don't use chocolate bars. They're formed using fats/oils.

I used the unsweetened bakers chocolate which is what most recipes recommend. Is there an alternative chocolate form to use them if the bakers chocolate is not the way to go. Unsweetened cocoa powder maybe???

Thanks for the replies. I wondered if it was the chocolate oils that was causing this. So what would b the best way to avoid this the next time I brew this???

I use cacao nibs and cocoa powder for a chocolate flavor with some vanilla beans to sweeten and round out the bitterness. I've never had any problems with head retention doing this.

But there are a ton of different ingredients to help head retention. Oats, wheat, torrified wheat, flaked barley, flaked wheat, come to mind....but the easiest thing is to toss in 4-8oz of carapils/dextrin malt and be done with it. I even made a Almond Joy stout with 4 pounds of toasted coconut and still had a good head on it, despite all the oils

I use cacao nibs and cocoa powder for a chocolate flavor with some vanilla beans to sweeten and round out the bitterness. I've never had any problems with head retention doing this.

But there are a ton of different ingredients to help head retention. Oats, wheat, torrified wheat, flaked barley, flaked wheat, come to mind....but the easiest thing is to toss in 4-8oz of carapils/dextrin malt and be done with it. I even made a Almond Joy stout with 4 pounds of toasted coconut and still had a good head on it, despite all the oils

Sounds like a good idea to add the carapils. So do u add the nibs and powder in the boil or do u rack the beer onto nibs in secondary.

Sounds like a good idea to add the carapils. So do u add the nibs and powder in the boil or do u rack the beer onto nibs in secondary.

I like using nibs the best. I think they give the most rounded chocolate flavor. I'll usually do 4oz covered in water and boiled for like a minute. I toss all that into the primary. Makes the room smell amazing, especially if I add vanilla.

Sometimes I'll add cocoa powder too for a very sweet stout. I usually do 3-4oz at the 5 min mark of the boil to ensure it gets mixed in

Add flaked barley, instead of carapils. It's magic for head retention and a beautiful head in dark beers.

:mug: seriously. as a new brewer I was told this when I made my first porter. haven't gone back!!! :tank:

Cool...I've never considered flaked barley for head retention. What percentage of the mash bill would you recommend?

Not a lot is needed- I used 4.5-5% in my last 10 or so batches of stout. It's awesome! The only reason to not use it in lighter colored beers is because it does create a haze. You can't see it in a stout. It also increases the body of a stout just beautifully without it being "thick" or cloying. I love it!

Not a lot is needed- I used 4.5-5% in my last 10 or so batches of stout. It's awesome! The only reason to not use it in lighter colored beers is because it does create a haze. You can't see it in a stout. It also increases the body of a stout just beautifully without it being "thick" or cloying. I love it!

Thanks, Yoop! Good to know about the haze. I'll avoid using it in pale beers.

Going to the LHBS tomorrow, so I'll pick up a pound to keep on hand.

I just did a blonde ale with 5% of the grain bill being flaked barley. It should be ready for cold crashing/gelatin fining in a few days, but I don't think it's going to be hazy... We'll see.

Have an ESB that also has about 3% of the grain bill as flaked barley. No clarity issues on that one, either. Second batch is cold crashing as we speak.

Cold crashing and gelatin fining, along with a strong hot break and fast cold break seem to be the ticket to crystal clear beer.

Have you used flaked oats? If so, what caused you to prefer flaked barley?

Latest posts

Back