fast fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenbucket

Reaction score
howdy.
I'm kind of new at home brewing, have a small handful of batches under my belt. but this is a 1st for me.
i just switched to a fermenting bucket rather then carboy (i wanted to give it a shot and see how it works) and my fermentation started super fast (maybe 2 hours) and the airlock was bubbling like crazy. about 24 hours later, there is almost no activity. i watched it for about for about 2 min and saw 1 bubble. this was 2 days ago now. i was thinking of checking the gravity on Monday ( i brewed on Thursday) and was wondering if it seems to be around 1.012-1.015 (the target for this batch) would you bottle early? or wait a fully week anyways?

thanks in advance for any input.

You really should be giving every beer at least two weeks in the fermentor. Some beers, like wheats, benefit from shorter primary times, but most beers taste much better if you give the yeast time to clean up off flavors.

I have seen yeast ferment in as little as 36 hours, it depends on how good the yeast was. 24 hours seems a little fast, but I'm not going to say it's impossible. Just let it sit for a few weeks. Check your gravity in a few weeks and if it's where you want it, bottle.

You probably either over-pitched the number of yeast or fermented too warm. Make sure to keep the fermentation temperature in control (below 70F for most ales and below 50F for most lagers).

You probably either over-pitched the number of yeast or fermented too warm. Make sure to keep the fermentation temperature in control (below 70F for most ales and below 50F for most lagers).

You probably didn't overpitch unless you reused a yeast cake.

I've had buckets that didn't seal too well, but when fermentation was extra vigorous, it pushed through the airlock too. Sounds like everything is fine, give it some time to finish up.

Back