Fart/egg smell in my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy, I have made a couple of batches of cider and they have come out nicely with no off tastes or smells but I didn't age them as much. As soon as secondary was finished I racked them into the keg and carbonated, but with this current batch I let it age for a while (about a month with a sealed lid after adding sorbate and sulfites to stop yeast activity) and there is a slight fart/egg smell. It's not awful, and the taste of the cider is good but I would really prefer for it not to have this smell. The temperature of fermentation was not high and I added plenty of nutrients but I also put in grapefruit juice and pineapple concentrate into it while the others were just regular Mott's apple juice. I racked the batch into a keg, have added pressure a few times (30 PSI), shaked, and cleared it to try and get rid of this. Would appreciate some advice on how to prevent this from happening and how to get rid of the smell. Cheers and happy brewing to you all!

All you need is patience and time. This is normal, and on your previous batches you have simply been lucky. The sulfur will age out in a matter of a few more weeks.

Latest posts

Back