Farming Kveik Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewer12345

Reaction score
i just bought some of the bootleg biology double neepah beta yeast and i want to stretch it out a bit. i was going to make a big starter to multiply the yeast a bit, but i don't have a way to keep it as warm as it may need to be. will this effect the yeast at all or go through as normal? thanks!

I've never worked with Kveik, so I'm guessing. Around 70F she should propagate, probably just not as fast as at 80-90F.
Are you using a stir plate?

You could wrap a heating belt, fermwrap, heating blanket, etc. around the flask to keep it warmer. Or put inside your ferm chamber, a fridge, or cabinet that's heated.

From Bootleg Biology: Original blend of yeast isolated from Norwegian kveik

Since it's a blend, it's very likely by making a starter, or reusing part of a yeast cake from a previous batch, the balance of the strains in the blend will change, thus flavor and fermentation profiles will change too. There is nothing you can do to prevent that, or not in an easy way. Just live with it, part of the process, or use to your advantage. ;)

Temperature may accentuate or subdue the growth of different strains in the blend at different rates too.

I use the oven with the light on. It works great for Kveik and also for proofing bread. i have an incubator for regular yeast but it won't get higher then 70*. Put it on a baking sheet as those yeasts get explosive.

bumping this as fermentation went great, but new question. harvested some yeast from the conical for future use. anyone have a good eye for this? i usually would love for that clear white line for viable yeast but its tough to tell here. thanks

Attachments

• 65970F58-CE84-4529-B9F3-32B74D6F6915.jpeg
    65970F58-CE84-4529-B9F3-32B74D6F6915.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 26
bumping this as fermentation went great, but new question. harvested some yeast from the conical for future use. anyone have a good eye for this? i usually would love for that clear white line for viable yeast but its tough to tell here. thanks
I usually harvest at high krausen since that’s primarily is all healthy viable yeast. That being said kviek is pretty darn resilient and besides having proteins and break material mixed, you should be fine.

I usually harvest at high krausen since that’s primarily is all healthy viable yeast. That being said kviek is pretty darn resilient and besides having proteins and break material mixed, you should be fine.
thanks man! here's my next question- brewing this weekend, standard 5.5gal NEIPA, should i just pitch the whole jar? starter no starter? help me!

thanks man! here's my next question- brewing this weekend, standard 5.5gal NEIPA, should i just pitch the whole jar? starter no starter? help me!
Put you’re jar in the coldest part of the fridge (don’t let it freeze) until the day your brew so the yeast compacts and decant off the liquid. Then all you’ll literally need is 1 table spoon of slurry(seriously, that’s it). Since the yeast has some break material in it, to be safe you could pitch 2 to 3 tablespoons

Put you’re jar in the coldest part of the fridge (don’t let it freeze) until the day your brew so the yeast compacts and decant off the liquid. Then all you’ll literally need is 1 table spoon of slurry(seriously, that’s it). Since the yeast has some break material in it, to be safe you could pitch 2 to 3 tablespoons
much appreciated, thank you sir

Back