Farmhouse IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upheaval

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a standard IPA but decided to ferment it with a Saison yeast. All went well and I hit my numbers and fermentation is going great, but I recently took a reading to see where I was at and noticed that I had no hop bite to my beer at all. Could somebody explain this to me? Recipe below...

11.5 lb 2 Row
2 lb Crystal 10L

1 oz Amarillo (boil)
.5 oz Citra (boil)
.5 oz Citra (15min)
.5 oz Citra (flame)
2 oz Amarillo/Citra (dry hop)

1 lb table sugar

Wyeast 3711

According to my software I should be at about 66 IBUs

Thanks in advance...

Don't make any judgments until its carbed up and ready to drink. It can change a lot.

Also 3711 is my favorite yeast for a couple of IPA's I do.

Thanks thisisbeer... I actually am going to take a break from 3711 and 3724, these are the longest fermentation's I've experienced. I have 4 brews going now. 2 with 3711 and 2 with 3724 fermenting at about 80 degrees and It's just been a drag.

4.5oz ounces isn't a lot of hops for an IPA (assuming this is 5 gallons). So that could have something to do with it. Also, you've got a lot of crystal malt in there (15%), which in my opinion doesn't help the hops come to the forefront. Lastly, 3711 is a pretty flavorful yeast, so there's likely some competition happening there as well.

Strange that you're having a long fermentation with 3711. I did a saison with it a while back and it tore through the wort in a few days at 68*F.

But anyway, as thisisbeer noted, a lot can change between now and when it's carbed up and you're drinking. You've got tasty ingredients in there so I'm sure it will come out nice.

Cheers man.

I didn't notice all the crystal that is quite a bit. The 3711 on my IPA it tears down to 1.008 pretty quick then maybe another 7 or 8 days to go down to 1.004

So traditionally Crystal malts (sweetness) drowns out that hop flavor huh? Thanks for the help guys. This is probably the 3-4 recipe I just put together on my own so I'm still green.

Also, as far as it tasting nice goes. It does so far, I'll just have to convince myself that it's more of a Saison than IPA lol

I recently did a Nelson/Citra Farmhouse pale with great success. I used about 7-9oz of hops and no crystal.

you probably won't get much 'sweetness' at all if 3711 is involved. if you keg, couldn't you just package it when it's at your desired FG? that should be pretty fast with 3711, including some conditioning time.

Update: the Crystal killed this brew for sure. Tasted like sweet tea with a farmhouse funk... I ended up dumping it due to the fact I had 5 other brews going one of which is a stellar Saison

Back