Farm fresh juice...question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alane1

Reaction score
Last Sunday I purchased 6 gal of fresh pressed apple juice with an OG of 1.048. My procedure was crush 6 campden tabs and rack juice onto that and pectic enzyme, wait 24 hours and added 1tsp DAP and pitched rehydrated yeast(S-04). The fermentation has started but I'm getting a nasty smell from the airlock. My question is, do I do a staggered nutrient addition, hit it with pure o2 or both? I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered a million times but the search isn't working on my computer.

Ive always gotten a sulfer smell on my fresh cider. It usually only last a few days and it passes. Its from stressed yeast.
Try and get the temperature down as best as you can. I usually try and keep mine in the low to mid 60's and that helps.
But its really nothing to worry about it. Just be patient.

Fermaid, its a balanced nutrient, just DAP is to much nitrogen and nothing else to support the yeast, stressed yeast produce other stuff besides rhino farts so unstressed might be better as well as cooler as mentioned above if you can. WVMJ

So Now I'm getting complaints from SWMBO as the fart smell is traveling through the house. I boiled up some bread yeast and DAP and hit it with 10 seconds of pure O2. The smell is still present but in a much more pleasant appley way, if that makes any sense. Cheers

Back