Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have setup the first test version of the FAQ software. I hope to build an FAQ archive filled with great information.

I need some help deciding more topics and also need some FAQ's written for content and testing.

Any comments are appreciated and please feel free to add FAQ or suggest topics.

http://www.homebrewfaq.com/

kerryhughes1

Reaction score
TxBrew said:
I have setup the first test version of the FAQ software. I hope to build an FAQ archive filled with great information.

I need some help deciding more topics and also need some FAQ's written for content and testing.

http://faq.homebrewtalk.com/

I'd just suggest that you list a source of good homebrew books. I just bottled my first Imperial Stout (very yummy by the way ... though I cheated and cracked a bottle open after a week). I want to learn more about how to design my own brews ... particularly with special grain mixed with extract. Even wine books would be helpful as .. can't we make wine in this fine equipment we have for fermenting beer? I'd love to see some good books recommended!

yodar

Reaction score
TxBrew said:

Achieving desired mash temp for those of us without Promash, etc. can be a real excerise unless we have some hints. 5 AG batches before a seasoned brewer said I wouldnt harm my Amylase if I stike'ed at 175 degrees (higher than what the books say)

This definitely is a topic that will recur

I am am ex-biology teacher whose research was mycology (fungi) and frequently questions on identifying floating patches as contaminants or happy yeasties come up a lot too. Unfortunately, This is HARD to answer with certainty

Yodar

Witbier

Reaction score
How about a section on converting Sankey kegs into brewing vessels. There are a number of useful web sites you could link to if nothing else. Maybe a few tips on how to legally obtain kegs would be helpful as well?

Dude

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
TxBrew said:

Wow!! that looks great!
I'm a nOOb so I'll be learning more than suggesting/helping, but great addition to the forum!

rooftopbrew

Reaction score
From participating in other forums, it seems that some frequent subjects are carbonation, bottling, and kegging.

OP
OP
TxBrew

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I helped design it so users could submit questions they get asked often. On a lot of other forums I am on people seem to ask the same questions over and over. I thought creating that would allow those questions to be answered with a link instead of having to reply each time. I'm not a very good writer but when I get some free time I am going to start writing a lot more. Feel free to submit any questions you get asked often and know the answer to.

sause

Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is a real good idea, I've been known to post a repeated thread once and a while, my suggestion is to put the link in a larger more visible spot I saw it never clicked on it until right now.

Reaction score
I think one on sanitation would be excellent. Being a newb myself I did a lot of reading on home brewing and learned much but sanitation although discussed as very important I've yet to see writeups that are more specific on procedures. The anal sorts (like me) question if I'm going overboard on cleaning.

Mark

Reaction score
I'd like to know about what makes beer, not just how to make it.
This is so that I can be a bit more experimental.
And I don't mean likes of 125gm this and that then ferment and dance in a circle unless it's a Tuesday level of detail, more like

Beer comes from putting malt extract with hops in water with yeast.
Alcohol content is controlled by:
Bitterness by:
Maltieness by:

Eg for dark beer you want roughtly the following proportions for a 5 gallon brew:

There are x tyes of hops, adding type 1 makes the beer more ABC
There are y types of malt extract, adding type 1 to a dark beer will make it more ABC and therefore taste like DEF, so it might be a god idea to add some...

Maybe I'm asking a bit much if you were to cover every type of beer but a few basics might be helpful. For me, half the fun is experimenting and tweaking basic beers.

Great forum
Thanks!

bigmick

Reaction score
TxBrew said:
I helped design it so users could submit questions they get asked often. On a lot of other forums I am on people seem to ask the same questions over and over. I thought creating that would allow those questions to be answered with a link instead of having to reply each time. I'm not a very good writer but when I get some free time I am going to start writing a lot more. Feel free to submit any questions you get asked often and know the answer to.

I'm a 'noobie' ; Ilike what i'm seeing in this site :p Keep working on your FAQs; should be help to us new brewers.
I have a question; I love a good 'black and tan' served at the correct temp! Can we make one with one or two home brews?

rightwingnut

Reaction score
No doubt. Maybe I'll go through a bunch and tally up the most frequent, and pair them with answers...maybe I won't...and maybe that's pointless...just brainstorming.... :confused:

Hops, Tx

Reaction score
I'm new to all of this (just started in January), but something I would like to see on the Recipe page would be a seperation based upon seasons. Does that make sense. I'm use to drinking Bud and Miller (don't laugh) but am really getting into homebrewing. It would be nice to be about to brew, think about when I would drink it, and see what season (or holiday) that would be around and chose from that. Does that make sense?

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
Hops said:
I'm new to all of this (just started in January), but something I would like to see on the Recipe page would be a seperation based upon seasons. Does that make sense. I'm use to drinking Bud and Miller (don't laugh) but am really getting into homebrewing. It would be nice to be about to brew, think about when I would drink it, and see what season (or holiday) that would be around and chose from that. Does that make sense?

Basically, you'd like to know WHEN to brew (today) for an upcoming season tomorrow? Like brewing an Oktoberfest brew today for September and a Pumpkin beer yesterday that'll be ready for Thanksgiving.... :D

I understand.

D-brewmeister

Reaction score
I find it a bit confusing that there is an FAQ at the top of the page (next to contact), and also in the other menu between NewPosts and Search. I understand that one is for FAQ about the forum, and the other is for brewing FAQ, but they could be labled, or placed, so as to make this distinction clearer.

crum

Reaction score
I like this idea and it looks great! I am also still learning so I would not have much input yet. What about putting up websites or typing in something I read on a specific subject with the source of the information. I think that would help new brewers like myself? Putting up a book is a good idea but I think it would be easy to put good information from a specific book so somebody with a question does not have to get the book to find one bit of information.

Are submitted entries reviewed before they are posted to the site? I could see some kids playing games submitting a bunch of junk thinking it is fun.

lostintexas

Reaction score
i was wondering what the alcolhol content of commercial beers were and that that that may be a good thing to post as a FAQ :

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=alcohol+content+in+beer[/ame]

jimbrew

Reaction score
TxBrew said:

http://www.homebrewfaq.com/

The most important thing would be to let people know brewing drinkable dare I say great home brew is not as hard as you may think, honestly.

/DRTFA

Dude

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe this post isn't in the right place but I'd like to see a section devoted to book reviews regarding homebrewing?

The reason I ask is I picked up an AWESOME book last month. It is called Brew Ware and I wanted to share what its all about...

Real quick review on this one...it has numerous examples on where to find (at least the manufacturer) interesting and better products to make your brewing experience easier. It ranges from every facet of homebrewing--grain mills, brewpots, kegging, wort chillers, hop growing, you name it. It has pretty sweet little illustrations and detailed material lists and instructions to build your own equipment probably at a fraction of the cost to buy it from major retailers and home brew shops.
I highly recemmend this book if you plan on building your own brew equipment.
If I had to critique one thing about it, it would be that the prices the author lists for much of the equipment manufactuires he mentions, are WAY too low. The book was printed in 1996 so obviously the mark-up and demand for brew equipment has made the book slightly out of date. But if oyu plan on making your own equipment, the majority of the designs are timeless, IMHO.

Good book and worth the 12-15 bucks.