Fan/circulating question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michele Craft

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got most of the case/lid done and getting to the hardware going in. I may at some point go with the bilge blower idea for air circulation since I happen to have one sitting around but initially, I'm going to get a USB fan to mount inside the collar since I happen to have one on hand that I'm not using and I have a USB outlet right where I'll be plugging in. Just want to see how things fit with all the kegs, if I'll need 2" pipe etc.

Anyway, I'm using 2" black iron pipe for the tap. Leg up to elbow, Ts across for 4 taps, elbow, leg down. I am going to put 2 lines up each side and run them in 1" copper pipes that are in that pool noodle looking foam tube that'll go up to the elbow so I'll have little "open line" space. I figure I'll extend the copper down into the kegerator body a bit so hopefully some heat sinking activities occurs to move the cold up with the copper tube.

When you put the fans up near the collar i'm assuming you have it blowing UP towards the lid so that it's pulling the air up from the bottom right? Just wanted to check but that makes the most sense to me.

thanks!

Have you thought about a mini dehumidifier? they have a little fan in them already. I used them in my long term keg storage freezers. 40 and 60 degrees and keeps the moisture in check.

Have you thought about a mini dehumidifier? they have a little fan in them already. I used them in my long term keg storage freezers. 40 and 60 degrees and keeps the moisture in check.

Yep, I've got an EVADry ready to go in there but I figured to help keep the tower cooler I'd want more circulation, that's why I'm thinking a cheapo fan setup to start before I jump right to the bilge fan

ah..I missed that you have a tap tower.

What is the EVAdry? is that an actual electronic dehumidifier or just those buckets of desiccant? If it's a unit then a bilge fan is unnecessary as the unit is already moving air around.

If it's an actual dehumidifier...I bet you could rig up some kinda ducting over the exhaust up into the tower.

The EVADry thing has beads that absorb but it's not like damprid where you have to dump the medium and put new in. When it's full, you plug it in to "Recharge" the beads but it needs no power when it's in use. From what I've read on the forum here it's pretty popular.

When you put the fans up near the collar i'm assuming you have it blowing UP towards the lid so that it's pulling the air up from the bottom right? Just wanted to check but that makes the most sense to me.
The thing about "blowing up" is it's about as effective as trying to blow in a bottle. There's no way to get the air in because there's no way to get it out. I have one of these in my kegerator, with a second copper pipe in the tower to allow the air to come back down and circulate.

Back