Family vacations in the US with toddlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always go to Disneyland.

They also seemed to enjoy Legoland, but we went mid week when there were no crowds.

It's never cheap, but I enjoy it too. Plus, we can drive there from our place in about six hours so we save a LOT on airfare.

I'm partial to national parks. Its been many years so I cant help you on prices other than to say its cheaper than most vacations. What we did was camped, fished, hiked, roasted marshmallows, sight seeing tours. Watching a moose feed and bellow in a lake, or bears sliding downs hills in the snow was spectacular. The best part was the family stayed together doing these things since there was no clubs or video game halls around. They were true family vacations.

Edit: Missed the toddler part. But that didn't stop us. Mine were in the woods by 4. Until then I would stay in town

Disneyland works for any age. We took my daughter at 4yr and son at 1 year old. We were all able to get on about 95% of the rides together. WE also do the beach and Camping /RV'ng alot. Road trip...well it depends on how many toddlers.

We drove from Texas to orlando. We stayed in Disney Resort at about 90 a night. Bought the Park Hopper tickets that include food. Gas was about $450. I forget what the Park tickets cost, but that would be your biggest cost.

the best thing about toddlers is they don't remember being toddlers. buy some post cards of wherever you want and tell them thy were there. :D

I think my favorite vacation with small ones (ages 3 1/2 and 1 1/2) was a cruise. They had day care activities for the kids, and babysitting as needed. They had plenty of activities for the almost four year old, and we had time to do things we wanted to do. We'd get off the ship and push the strollers around and go to the beaches when we were in port. They had kiddie pools (really nice uncrowded ones), kid menus, high chairs, and everything else we needed. The kids loved the beach, and the shops and riding in the backpacks when we did some hiking/climbing in the rainforest. I don't remember the cost now, but it was really cheap. Like $299 for each adult, kids under 5 were free, for 7 nights. Meals were included, of course, and drinks like lemonade, but not soda, were included.

I did Disney when the kids were older. I don't think it would have been very enjoyable with toddlers. But the beach is great!

We take our 3-yr-old to the beach each year and rent a condo for a week. We get one that is fully furninshed with washer/dryer, full kitchen, etc. We all like to relax/play in the sand and most beach towns have shopping and/or some kind of zoo or amusement park nearby. That way we can play it by ear instead of getting disappointed becuse the little one doesn't want to stick to an itenerary (-sp?).

Usually we split the condo with close friends so after food and rent for seven days we spend about $600...at less than $100/day for the whole fam we feel like we're getting a good deal.

-Tripod

We are considering a cruise in December. Kinda short notice but, it'll be for something to break up the winter funk. Wife is tropical and gets mad cabin fever. But, it has to be something that will entertain a 3 year old and accomodate a, by then, walking 1 year old.

Have also thought about a hotel destination in some random US city. But again, climate is a factor.

I think camping is out for sure. Wife isn't much for tents lest they have heat and air.

A beach would be great, I just dunno if there are any US beaches worth going to in December.

Right now, we are considering a Bahamas cruise. Price isn't bad but we haven't looked at airfare from OKC to Port Canaveral.

Cruise or Disneyland/Disneyworld.....

The cruise will have set up areas for your kids to play in, and people to watch. They will have a blast...

Disneyworld is awesome also....

We just did a Disney Cruise...7 nights, 4 people 2800.00 plus extra spending at Cosumel, Grand Cayman, Key West, and Disney's private island....

both are kinda pricey, but well worth it in my opinion....

Our strategy when the boys were little was to rent a house someplace pretty with activities nearby, like a beach. Staying in a hotel room or suite with little onesfor more than a night or two can challenging. Because we're in the Midwest, we'd go up to Door County (the Cape Code of the Midwest - hah!). We'd swim, go on bike rides (with kiddie seats), boating, etc. Good times.

I couldn't be within 100 yards of that stupid fooking mouse without running up and cockpunching him. :mad:

Add mouse cock to LGI's fetish list....

We go to indoor waterparks during the winter and our little guy love it. He was 3 the first time we went. Mostly Great Wolf Lodge chain places.

And they have Sierra Nevada on tap in the "pub" restaurant. :rockin:

we did the camping thing with a travel trailer they still go with use from time to time. I just took my grandson to Hershey PA for the AACA meet he loves cars we camped at Highmeadow campground.

We went to Disneyworld years ago Thanksgiving week it was empty we walked right up and got on the rides only wait was space mountain and that was like 5 minutes . I took my kids back to Disney world in 2007 they were like little kids again we stayed at the Portifino hotel at Universal studio. The hotel was paid for because it was a company trip so universal was free and they closed it to the public one eve for the group. But Disney was way expensive and I still have 4 days let on all the passes good thing I bought the lifetime option on them

Late August we did Seneca Lake, NY with a 4 month old. When driving to the wineries (wife was DD 2 days, I was one day), we put her in her stroller and took her in if she was awake, but if she was sleeping the DD stayed in the car with her. Worked out well, the weather was nice, and she enjoyed being outside.

Late August we did Seneca Lake, NY with a 4 month old. When driving to the wineries (wife was DD 2 days, I was one day), we put her in her stroller and took her in if she was awake, but if she was sleeping the DD stayed in the car with her. Worked out well, the weather was nice, and she enjoyed being outside.

Isn't the best time to take a baby down, is when they are asleep?

We are considering a cruise in December. Kinda short notice but, it'll be for something to break up the winter funk. Wife is tropical and gets mad cabin fever. But, it has to be something that will entertain a 3 year old and accomodate a, by then, walking 1 year old.

Have also thought about a hotel destination in some random US city. But again, climate is a factor.

I think camping is out for sure. Wife isn't much for tents lest they have heat and air.

A beach would be great, I just dunno if there are any US beaches worth going to in December.

Right now, we are considering a Bahamas cruise. Price isn't bad but we haven't looked at airfare from OKC to Port Canaveral.
We did CruisesOnly out of Miami like 3 days before Christmas and got a cabin at a $600 savings over other people we met and talked to.

My kids are 2 & 5. They love Disney World and also the South Carolina beaches(Hilton Head and Myrtle beach). I try to get a condo with a kitchen, so we can stay in and eat.
Myrtle Beach beach front condo's are dirt cheap late August/early September. No crowds that time of year either.

I've been camping with our 2 & 5 year. Too much work, not enough vacation for me. Wait until your kids are 4 and older.

I took my son to NYC when he was young. He had a blast, he loved the lights in times square, and all the people. We went to alot of childrens musuems, and parks. The hotel cost us $109 a night, which for New York is not bad at all. We are going to Orlando, Disney, this Summer.

We went to Disney when my youngest was like 6. We actually had a better time at Universal Studios. Probably not indicative of most kids that age. She just liked the stuff at US better. Toddlers will have a blast at Disney.

But, I like camping too. I don't know how you compare the two. Completely separate things. Camping = Less $$. Disney = More giant costumed cartoon creatures.

Back