Family Traditions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aunt_Ester

Reaction score
Despite homebrewing's nascency in the last few decades, I know there has to be some of you out there that learned the pasttime from older generations. I would like to hear about some of your family traditions. Some of your family's superstitions. Family techniques.

I brewed my 1st batch with my father 2 St. Patrick's days ago. Who had been brewing wines with mom from apples, mulberries, raspberries and grapes that all grew on the farm. The fruit has never had the soil screwed with and the only thing that touched the plants was rain.

I lost dad 6 months later to cancer. I have not stopped brewing nor do I intend to. That day we brewed up a AHS extract pale ale kit. I still have 12 bottles of it left and will have one every St. Pats day for 12 years. I now help mom with wines as well.

One thing dad did shortly after our brew day was to plant some hop plants, at my request, on the farm. He had often talked about a "Farm House Apple Ale" made from the apple juice, water, and hops from the farm. This year was the 1st harvest and I am planning to brew up this ale using 2 gallons of juice in the 1st runnings of the "mash in". I will also take and smoke some of the base malt with Apple wood from the trees, in his smoker. And age the ale on toasted apple chips (maybe soaked in whiskey???) and use the farm hops in the boil since this year was the 1st harvest.

I'm sorry for your loss, Zamial. I hope the Farmhouse Apple Ale grows into a beautiful family recipe that will be passed down to your kids to honor.

I know how you feel,man. I didn't just loose a father that day,but my friend as well,we did so many things together,wine making & gardens huge & small as well. I'd toast the apple chips,but leave out the whiskey in something as light as an "apple ale". Should be a good feeling to use ingredients he planted & nurchered himself.

Back