False bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barny

Reaction score
Hi all, complete newbie all-grain question.

I'm looking at transitioning to AG as much as possible. In my current house that probably means AG ~8 months of the year and extract the other 4.

But I'm looking to at least get my feet wet on my next starter. Figured I'd do a 1 gallon "real" batch as my starter but also do it AG for some practice. The BYO anchor steam recipe looked like a dirt simple one to try AG so the recipe variable is kind of nailed down, just some 2 row.

One thing that isn't quite clear to me is whether or not you "need" a false bottom on your mash tun. It seems like given good enough grain depth you don't, is the false bottom really just one more piece of "insurance" that you have a good filter for the wort to run through?

(now that I know what BIAB is I'm also tinkering with the thought of 3 gallon BIAB batches during the winter, ie something I could still get boiling on a stove....and here I thought it involved some big fermentation bag when I saw the term, oyvay).

Hi all, complete newbie all-grain question.

I'm looking at transitioning to AG as much as possible. In my current house that probably means AG ~8 months of the year and extract the other 4.

But I'm looking to at least get my feet wet on my next starter. Figured I'd do a 1 gallon "real" batch as my starter but also do it AG for some practice. The BYO anchor steam recipe looked like a dirt simple one to try AG so the recipe variable is kind of nailed down, just some 2 row.

One thing that isn't quite clear to me is whether or not you "need" a false bottom on your mash tun. It seems like given good enough grain depth you don't, is the false bottom really just one more piece of "insurance" that you have a good filter for the wort to run through?

(now that I know what BIAB is I'm also tinkering with the thought of 3 gallon BIAB batches during the winter, ie something I could still get boiling on a stove....and here I thought it involved some big fermentation bag when I saw the term, oyvay).

This is what I got started with and I've never seen a need to do otherwise since I can make beer that is just as good as any other method with a fraction of the cost and storage room for the equipment.

Back