False Bottom!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDCore

Reaction score
I was planning on doing a BIAB AG tomorrow and I realize I don't have a false bottom. I have a 32qt kettle and I need to find a make shift false bottom by tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas? Its an IMUSA 32 quart Tamale steamer but the issue i keep running into is that there is an indent about and inch and a half above the bottom so it may get in the way.

Crazy question, if you are doing a BIAB, why would you need a false bottom? Wouldn't you just lift the bag out of the tun/kettle?

Hes talking more about keeping the bag off the bottom if he has to add heat during the mash. All i do is lift the bag up a little bit to keep the bottom of the bag from touching the kettle if i need to add heat. Once the flame has been off for a minute or so let the bag sink back down and stir a bit since you may have compacted the grain a bit.

try a small stainless colander placed inverted on the bottom of your kettle

In the long run, consider a basket from Bayou Classic. It makes lifting a heavy grain bag (17 lbs of grain + absorbed water) considerably easier. Although it sounds like you're making smaller beers or batches so it may not be that beneficial.

Hes talking more about keeping the bag off the bottom if he has to add heat during the mash. All i do is lift the bag up a little bit to keep the bottom of the bag from touching the kettle if i need to add heat. Once the flame has been off for a minute or so let the bag sink back down and stir a bit since you may have compacted the grain a bit.

That actually makes a ton of sense. Thank you!

yeah i ended up just being super careful. it looks like it went well but my bags mouth ended up being smaller than i thought and it got a bit messy. Just hoping I didn't get dough balls. I don't think I did tho

I was looking at the same one I think. They had it at wm for like 25$ but I thought it came with a fitted pre perfed insert that could keep you at that lip level above the bottom? Otherwise how is the pot? Seems like it would be better than my al 28q and ss 20q just at a glance.

One of the wire racks that they sell for cooling cookies or baked goods after they come out of the oven. They are often round and have little feet on the bottom about 1/2" high. Perfect for the job.

could get a piece of threaded rod or something similar and tie the bag around it and sit it on the kettle rim. Should be pretty cheap and available

Back