False bottom, VS kettle screen mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what's better, false bottom VS kettle screens and why? I am making a 5g mash tun out a 5g homedepot orange cooler. Trying to keep in some what inexpensive. I have seen how to make one with kettle screen however I was told false bottoms are the way to go. Any way to make a false bottom?

I have a 10 gal and use a kettle valve screen. I have friended a brewer at my local brewery and I have asked him about efficiency and hitting close to my OG, he stated that you are losing efficiency by not using a false bottom. He told me if I would change to the false bottom I would see a gain in efficiency and get closer to estimated OG simply for the fact that you have a bigger area your drawing from.

I used to have a ten gallon cooler mash tun with a bazooka screen. I recently purchased a false bottom for it and have noticed better efficiency in my last three batches.

It depends on how you plan to sparge.

If you batch sparge - use whatever. You are mixing the grain bed up so much that all the sugar is evenly dissolved. It really doesn't matter how you drain it.

If you fly sparge, you want uniform flow across the grainbed. The best way to do that is with a false bottom. Each point in the tun is equally close to the nearest drain point. A kettle screen will drain from 1 line down the center and pull wort unevenly through the grainbed. A middle ground would be a manifold that is spread relatively uniformly across the bottom.

Use a false bottom or make a slotted manifold out of CPVC. You'll save money on each batch from better efficiency. It will pay for itself over time and the more you brew!

Also, I would recommend just going with a 10 gal round cooler. A 5 gal mash tun isn't big enough for 5 gal batches. You will quickly regret having it and wish you just got the 10 gal. You'll need about 6-7 gal of mash tun volume for a 5 gal batch of decent ABV beer. Hell, I even used 22 lbs of grain for a 5 gal batch of Barleywine and completely filled my 10 gal cooler.

Spending the money now on a 10 gal is worth not having to upgrade after a few batches.

Yes, skip the 5 gallon and get a 10.

ONLY use a false bottom or manifold if you plan to fly sparge. If you're going to batch sparge, a bazooka tube or stainless braid is way less trouble and efficiency is exactly the same. The folks who are telling you to get a false bottom for higher efficiency are only correct if you fly sparge and it's important to make that delineation when giving advice.

Can someone tell me what's better, false bottom VS kettle screens and why? I am making a 5g mash tun out a 5g homedepot orange cooler. Trying to keep in some what inexpensive. I have seen how to make one with kettle screen however I was told false bottoms are the way to go. Any way to make a false bottom?

How much money are you looking to spend? Then we can give u the best answer

My setup. I have no left over wort in my system (other then water absorbing into hops/grains) but cost is kind of high compared to other systems.

If you are very patient, you could buy a stainless steel pizza pan and drill Tiny holes all over it

From what I know the false bottom is almost essential if you are going to fly sparge. I use the mesh from a HD water heater supply line and batch sparging. The water heater lines have a heavier braid and are larger in diameter than sink supply lines. I have had no problems with it.

The supply line was less than $10 plus the valve and some hose clamps.

If you have not already bought the cooler I suggest you get the 10 gallon one instead. I just finished the mash on my pumpkin ale and my 10 gallon cooler was filled almost 3/4 full.
This is for a 1.058 gravity recipe.

I am confused what is the difference in the two different sparging?

I am confused what is the difference in the two different sparging?

Fly sparging is slowly adding the sparge water while draining the wort. You make a balance so that the water going in is the same as the wort coming out of the tun. This should be done slowly 3/4 to an hour to sparge.

Batch sparging is filling the tun with water at the right temperature, stirring the grain then draining. Some do a single batch sparge and others split the sparge into two segments. You can drain fast using this method.

Fly sparging is supposed to be more efficient.

Use a false bottom or make a slotted manifold out of CPVC. You'll save money on each batch from better efficiency. It will pay for itself over time and the more you brew!
The dollar savings from fly sparging is minimal at best. Batch sparging done correctly will get you all the effeciency you need. And if you value your time, batch sparging is a huge savings.

Great advice, now does anyone know of a detailed list if items I need from Home Depot/lowes to transfer my cooler to a valve etc for mashing?? There are so many different types if valves and what not, a nice list would be nice and would anyone know how much roughly for everything? Debating weather to buy a kit or buy everything needed from Home Depot?

Is brass parts ok for this? What is the difference between brass fittings/valve vs stainless??

Some brass components currently contain lead. At the beginning of 2014 all brass parts and plumbing fixtures are supposed to be lead free by law.
I have read somewhere on here that you can "pickle" brass parts to leach the lead out. I don't remember the procedure but I believe it involved soaking in vinegar or some type of solution. Maybe a search on lead leaching or brass parts would yield some results.

Does anyone know where to find the metal tube used for a kettle screen?? There are many types at Home Depot so which area are they normally found? Kitchen area or plumbing???

Plumbing section. Should be on the same isle as the brass fittings you will need.

So is it the bigger screen used for like boilers? I know they have some in the like kitchen dept. but they seem very skinny?

You can buy a larger one used for water heaters if you like. I am sure there is a thread here with discussion on the topic that bigger is/isn't better. I have a 1/2" x 12" braid on mine and it works well. Just follow the directions on the link provided in the post above and you will be fine. :mug:

Back