False bottom question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drays14

Reaction score
I just purchased a 10 gallon cooler and I have decided to go with a false bottom instead of the steel braided hose. My question is what is the difference between the false bottom that has the elbow fitting so you connect a tube from your ball valve to the elbow or the false bottoms that are raised a little higher so no extra tubing is necessary. They are both similar in price which I why I was wondering if one is better than the other. Thanks in advance! Here are my two choices so you get s clear idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.beernecessities.com/beer...ge=flypage.tpl&product_id=1726&category_id=75

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/catalog/product/view/id/6198/category/106

This is how we do it.

CoolerMashFB1-2T.jpg

Having a full disc fitting tight to the sidewalls of the cooler is not very easy. I'm sure there some gaps in that product and you'll have to mash quite a bit thinner due to holding the thick mash above the spigot. The other product you linked to is a typical domed kit that comes with an barbed elbow connector that is very tiny and will promote stuck runoffs when it gets clogged. We use the same false bottom but our elbow connector and bulkhead are upgraded to a much larger size and the price is better also.

It's available as a full conversion kit, the full mash tun, or just the false bottom with elbow connector.

Digression: what's with websites that have no explanations or descriptions of the product?

Hey Bobby, do you offer the upgraded elbow connector and bulkhead for people like me who have the cooler and domed false bottom already?

I ditched the tiny elbow connector and just used cpvc pipe with an elbow thru the false bottom when I first got it, but yours looks like a much better solution.

Thanks!

On that elbow for fb, it appears one needs to add a short piece of something below the threaded insert to cut down on dead loss. The pictures don't show it but does the threaded insert have a female pipe thread?

Cheers!

My only gripe about the SS false bottoms is that if you don't pull them out of the cooler perfectly right, then the edge will cut and gouge the side of cooler. If the inside of a 10gal Igloo cooler is 12" D, then why not make a false bottom that is 11.5" D with a rolled edge so it doesn't scrape the side of the cooler every time you insert it and remove it for cleaning?

On that elbow for fb, it appears one needs to add a short piece of something below the threaded insert to cut down on dead loss. The pictures don't show it but does the threaded insert have a female pipe thread?

Cheers!

The threaded insert has a smooth bore. The opening sits about 1/4" off the bottom leaving very little behind. The dead space is about a quart.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJWLNzqRWhQ[/ame]

If you size it right and use an integrated stand. Then having it even 1/8" to small is just fine and nothing to worry about, since the stand acts as part of the filter. Coolers are tricky because they are not uniform and every cooler is different. That said, we do a great job getting the false bottom to filter the mash all the while keeping it simple and affective. Just make sure you measure it well. Subtract what you feel is needed to make sure it doesn't scratch your cooler and life is good.

Cheers
Jay

Now that I see they're out there I might upgrade the fittings, but this has been working solidly for me...

Cheers!

What is the red ring around the false bottom? Is it to prevent scratching the sides of the cooler?

Back