false bottom question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beargrylls

Reaction score
I am planning on converting a 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler into a mash lauter tun for AG!! I want to use a false bottom and I was going to buy a 12'' one online somewhere.

Are there false bottoms that sit above the spigot of the mash tun? (So I wouldn't have to make a siphon tube to draw the liquid back up above the false bottom)

If not, how would I construct a siphon tube to attach to the hole in the middle of the false bottom and then to the spigot on the mash tun?

Which of these methods is better?

great! also, how do you make sure the false bottom stays secured to the bottom of the cooler so grains dont get through on the sides? I was think of cutting some plastic tubing and attaching it to the side of the false bottom and then sliding it down to the bottom of my cooler mash tun so it fits snugly and the plastic creates a seal with the sides of the mash tun.
Is a 12'' false bottom big enough to fit snugly inside a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler?
Would this work and is it even necessary?

great! also, how do you make sure the false bottom stays secured to the bottom of the cooler so grains dont get through on the sides? I was think of cutting some plastic tubing and attaching it to the side of the false bottom and then sliding it down to the bottom of my cooler mash tun so it fits snugly and the plastic creates a seal with the sides of the mash tun.
Is a 12'' false bottom big enough to fit snugly inside a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler?
Would this work and is it even necessary?

I don't currently do anything to keep it down. I believe some grains do get through the sides, but it's not too big a deal as far as I can tell. The grains push down on the screen.

I just got my NorCal false bottom yesterday. Holy crap, I'm stunned at the fit in the keggle, and how the holes in the hinge area line up EXACTLY! Can't wait to brew tomorrow!

Back