False bottom needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanmcl

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on this pot:

Name Update Stainless Steel Stock Pot 80qt |SPS-80
Brand SuperSteel
Manufacturer Update International
Product ID UPI-SPS80
Manufacturer ID SPS-80
Equivalents SPS80, SPS-80, 100-SPS-80
Material Stainless Steel
Dimensions (LxWxH) N/A x 20 x 16
Product Cube 5.97
Product Weight 30.94 lbs
Shipping Weight 36 lbs

Update Stainless Steel Stock Pot 80qt |SPS-80 | Instawares Kitchen Supplies Sale

Any idea what i can use for a false bottom? Commercial or home made?

Thanks!

Will do, i got three of them for a new brew stand so i hope they work well. From all the reading i have been doing i undersatnd they may be the same kettle as the megapot NB sells.

I assume the 20" width is at the widest part? I got some aluminum pots that are just shy of 20" at the top and narrow down a bit at the bottom. Not sure on the actual width at the bottom, will have to check when I get home. However, a 30 gallon blichmann false bottom fits almost perfectly. Using a bit of edge seal from mcmaster to seal it perfectly.
Tom

Tom, do you then have a weld less fitting below the false bottom? So you use a Blichmann fb and drain out from below. Dd you move from a keggle to this? I currently mash in a cooler, but looking to get into a direct fired mt and these pots look appealing and reasonably priced.

Yeah I have a welded fitting in the side of the pot with a diptube. To go under the fb. I had to close off the original diptube hole from blichmann as it was way to close to the edge for my setup. I can take some pictures of it for you when I get home. Milldoggy actually has the same kettle as me and set this up originally, I'm just copying his design with a couple small modifications. I know you were in the grain buy, but I forget your location. If your close and want to check it out, just let me know. On a side note, I'm probably starting the next grain buy tonight if your interested.
Tom

So do you have your spigot below the false bottom? Seems like this would be ideal as you could get every last drop basically by tipping the pot just a little. With a keg this is not possible as it has a concave bottom and you have to use a dip tube or put a spigot vertical coming out the very bottom. Wow, wonder why those false bottoms are so expensive. Do you have a 20 gal MT and matching BK?

Yeah I have a welded fitting in the side of the pot with a diptube. To go under the fb. I had to close off the original diptube hole from blichmann as it was way to close to the edge for my setup. I can take some pictures of it for you when I get home. Milldoggy actually has the same kettle as me and set this up originally, I'm just copying his design with a couple small modifications. I know you were in the grain buy, but I forget your location. If your close and want to check it out, just let me know. On a side note, I'm probably starting the next grain buy tonight if your interested.
Tom

Yeah Tom, didn't realize that was you posting. We stopped up at your place for the grain buy, and you refunded some money for the missing sack of MO. It was a hike to get to your place, but if you could post some pics that would be awesome. You were just putting your setup together when we were there.

So do you have your spigot below the false bottom? Seems like this would be ideal as you could get every last drop basically by tipping the pot just a little. With a keg this is not possible as it has a concave bottom and you have to use a dip tube or put a spigot vertical coming out the very bottom. Wow, wonder why those false bottoms are so expensive. Do you have a 20 gal MT and matching BK?

yes I have a ball valve wth an elbow on it. I can get all but a half gallon out without tipping the pot, I have three of these pots in a single teir system.

this is how it looks. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-brew-stand-almost-done-301131/

Update Stainless Steel Stock Pot 80qt |SPS-80 | Instawares Kitchen Supplies Sale

Any idea what i can use for a false bottom? Commercial or home made?

Thanks!

I hate to resurrect dead threads but I just bought two of these 80qts and you mentioned the NB megapot False Bottom fit perfectly. Which one? the 20 gallon variety?

I have heard these are basically what NB resells as Megapots and the price on them right now is really amazing... just wanted to get my FB on order.

Back