False Bottom Material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I was wandering around the hardware store and ran across these thin perforated aluminum sheets.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/295202-lincane_aluminum_sheet_metal.html

It is only 0.020" thick, so it is very flimsy. Do you think it could befashioned into a false bottom? Possibly by stacking a few layers. Also, I'm not sure if the "big" holes are too big.

don't bother
  • holes are too big
  • it's too flimsy
  • it's aluminum

Already thought of that also... I came up with the same conclusions as stated above... Really... I have just decided to go with a purchased FB or cut slits in the caps of my keg when I cut them out...

If you have a local metal supplier, see if they'll let you buy stuff from their scrap pile. I got enough perf SS to make 3 FB's for $5-$10 plus a sixer of homebrew. The hole spacing is a little further apart than ideal, but the FB's work great, and it's hard to complain considering the price.

I bought 15"x15" stainless perf sheet at my local metal supplier, for $25.
Bought a stainless hinge for $15, at Lowes.
Picked up #8 stainless screws, washers & nuts, at Lowes for probably another $8.

For roughly $60 (adding the price of cutting discs), I got this:

FalseBottom1.jpg

I also added a stainless cabinet handle, after the photo was taken.

Back