false bottom help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjones

Reaction score
i bought a perforated pizza pan to make a false bottom with. only think in is alumimum with a nonstick coating and will have to cut it. is this a bad idea?

im assuming your putting this false bottom in your kettle so here are my concerns. when cutting this its gonna be hard to keep the shape perfect for a nice seal on the bottom and whether the holes are not oversized so they dont let a bunch of hops through. as for the non stick coating , if your using an angle grinder to cut it it may heat it up enough to loosen the coating and then it would be chipping off around the edges into the wort. that might not be a big deal but i wouldnt want it floating around in my wort. i would still bag my hops to keep the bulk of it from going thru the false bottom. anyway im not trying to discourage you from trying something. so i say give it a try , if it works great if it doesnt just pitch it and buy a real one. good luck.

cool, yeah a i guess i should have mentioned i will be using a bag for the grain too. the false bottom will only be for keeping it off of the electric element in the pot

Back