False Bottom for Concord Kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachineShopBrewing

Reaction score
Hey, what is everyone using for false bottoms in the 100 qt ebay concord kettles?

I am planning an E-HERMS with three of the 100 qt kettles and need some recommendations for a good false bottom for the mash tun.

I have the 100 quart steamer insert version . The dimensions are bit different. Originally I thought I might use the steamer insert and 16 gauge stainless material with 3/32" holes on 5/32" centers laid over top. After comparing the cost of building my own and a few other options, I ended up buying a blichmann 30 gallon false bottom. I made a ring of 5/8" soft copper that fits snugly in the bottom of the kettle. This provides a ledge of support at the edge of the false bottom that is nearly the same height as the stainless legs in the center. It also bridges the gap between the edge of the false bottom and the wall of the kettle. I have yet to try it out, as I am still building my system. Another option is a custom version from HBT vendor Jaybird. Also, according to this post, it looks like Midwest sells a false bottom that will also work. Maybe this one?

I have the 100 quart steamer insert version . The dimensions are bit different. Originally I thought I might use the steamer insert and 16 gauge stainless material with 3/32" holes on 5/32" centers laid over top. After comparing the cost of building my own and a few other options, I ended up buying a blichmann 30 gallon false bottom. I made a ring of 5/8" soft copper that fits snugly in the bottom of the kettle. This provides a ledge of support at the edge of the false bottom that is nearly the same height as the stainless legs in the center. It also bridges the gap between the edge of the false bottom and the wall of the kettle. I have yet to try it out, as I am still building my system. Another option is a custom version from HBT vendor Jaybird. Also, according to this post, it looks like Midwest sells a false bottom that will also work. Maybe this one?

Could you post a pic of your setup? I really like the Blichmann false bottoms and would rather use theirs than using a mesh style one.

If you are going to go this route just check the diameter of your kettle to make sure it will fit. The 30 gallon blichmann false bottom is 19-3/16" in diameter.

IMG_4819resized.jpg

IMG_4821resized.jpg

How did the blichmann false bottom work out for you? I think I will probably go this route.

I don't have this kettle but I used a blichmann in my polar ware kettle. I used some 1/2" silicone tubing to seal the gap between the side an the false bottom. I also bought a stainless steel square bar off eBay that was as tall as the center support, I cut it into 3 sections to support the sides. The setup works great

How did the blichmann false bottom work out for you? I think I will probably go this route.

It works great, I have used it five times now. I am recirculating with an electric HERMS and my runs very clear. Efficiency is generally around 85%. I can post a photo of the finished mash tun if it would help.

It works great, I have used it five times now. I am recirculating with an electric HERMS and my runs very clear. Efficiency is generally around 85%. I can post a photo of the finished mash tun if it would help.

Please do!

I used a 1/2" stainless steel dip tube from Adventures in Homebrewing, it is a friction fit in a copper 1/2"fpt to 1/2" solder adapter and cut to length. The bulkheads are based off of the methods detailed on the theelectricbrewery.com The false bottom is rotated to get the dip tube to align properly. A few more photos can be found here.

img_1705-medium-61914.jpg

img_1710-medium-61915.jpg

img_1712-medium-61916.jpg

img_1700-medium-61917.jpg

I made one out of the perforated stainless, hinged it, and ran the dip tube out to the center. Less than a quart of leftover wort. 3/4" ss bolts and nuts to hold up off the bottom with less than a gallon of dead space.

I made one out of the perforated stainless, hinged it, and ran the dip tube out to the center. Less than a quart of leftover wort. 3/4" ss bolts and nuts to hold up off the bottom with less than a gallon of dead space.

I see a huge space to let grain in at 5 o' clock, hopefully it doesn't clog your diptube

I see a huge space to let grain in at 5 o' clock, hopefully it doesn't clog your diptube

It does look that way, but it is some sort of reflection there. I can hardly slide a business card around most of the tun and couldn't get it much tighter due to the kettle being a bit inconsistent around the circumference. It is hinged in the middle and when I put it in place it sits up 1/2"-3/4" and I have to push it down, so I'm pretty happy with the fit. No issue with any grain below so far.

Back