Fall meat smoking-longer times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I'm smoking a brisket for a party next weekend.The temps will be a high of 58 and a low of 48. Does cooler weather equal longer cook times or adding more coal or both or neither ? Trying to figure start time.The brisket is around 4 lbs

If you're doing it right (and your rig can hold temperature) you never want to change the schedule from what has always worked for you. That will mean using more fuel for the same amount of time as the ambient temperature drops.

I run my humble smoker in the dog days of August through the dead of winter (where I have to shovel the snow off) and always use the same timing...

Cheers! (and good luck!)

Same here, I mean maybe I've used a little more fuel and never really noticed it, but the cooking times have never really changed.

Yep, as others have said, as long as your cooker temp is the same as before, your cooks should take the same time as before. You may need more fuel to maintain those temps, but even then it's not going to be a HUGE increase unless you have a very inefficient smoker that wastes a lot of heat.

I have a wsm and found that the temps and if it's windy or not will affect things. I try to do what I always do and then adjust from there. Mostly I try to preheat the wsm, since I use a water pan for brisket and pork shoulder. I let the water try and heat up to help with temps

Back