Fall Beer using Spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red_2180

Reaction score
I want to create a great beer for the fall holiday parties. I am thinking a beer with some fruit and spice (Orange and Clove). I was thinking of making a Wheat beer that has a nice balance of honey/caramel with some traces of Orange and Clove to give it a little more holiday flavor. I am not sure about the fruit and spice since all my beers so far have been only all grain. Any advice on the recipe 5 gallon batch:

5lb- Crisp Pale Ale Malt
2lb- Crisp Crystal Malt 45L
1lb 5oz- Munton Torrified Wheat
7oz- Gambrinus Honey Malt
6oz- Briess Carapils

1oz Kent Goldings for 60 min
1oz Cluster for 10 min

British Ale (1098) Yeast

Orange and Clove at 10 min end boil. or create vodka orange and vodka clove to mix into secondary for flavor. not sure what is best. Want to start brewing soon to allow time to age.

Move your orange/clove to flameout...let it whirlpool for 10 minutes or so. This will give you the small hint you are after. If you want bigger, to the vodka in the secondary, that is how you can really get the flavor to show up so judge how much you want the orange/clove to play a part in the brew...hope this helps

Sounds good. I want to make sure that the grain recipe will blend nicely with the spice. I am still not sure of the amount of spice to use. I know that clove can over dominate the flavor. I was thinking around 3 cloves might due, and about 2 thin slices of fresh orange or would sweet peel work better?

Sounds good. I want to make sure that the grain recipe will blend nicely with the spice. I am still not sure of the amount of spice to use. I know that clove can over dominate the flavor. I was thinking around 3 cloves might due, and about 2 thin slices of fresh orange or would sweet peel work better?

Unfortunately, I really can't help you with the amount, its really a matter of your own palette. I do about 1/4 an ounce per gallon of zest and sometimes I even add a 1/2 ounce of peel as well. Clove really can be overpowering so go on the low end of what you want. Took over 4 months for the clove to die down in a brew I did that I used to much. Its much better to get a hint and be disappointed than to use to much and have it undrinkable

Also, try bottling with honey. I do it for all my batches and like the hint of honey it gives. I don't even use the honey malt anymore but I also don't like it to shine through. Hope this helps

Back