Falconers Flight Folly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillieBananas

Reaction score
A while back I had a thread about brewing a Falconers Flight single hop brew. Due to circumstances (mainly life) I was never able to brew it. Well things have slowed down a bit and I am happy to say that the brew kettle is back in action.
Here is the original recipe

Dry Malt Extract - Light 9.9 lb
Caramel/Crystal 20L (US) 0.5 lb
Munich - Light 10L (US) 0.5 lb
Hops Boil time: 60 min

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Falconer's Flight (US) 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Falconer's Flight (US) 1.0 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Falconer's Flight (US) 1.0 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Falconer's Flight (US) 2.0 oz 0 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Falconer's Flight (US) 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 10.5%
Yeasts

Name Lab/Product Average Attenuation
California Ale Yeast White Labs WLP001 76.5%
Predicted Stats

1.072 OG 1.017 FG 50 IBU7.2% ABV6 SRM 0.75 IBU/OG Recipe conforms to the American IPA style

Well 45 minutes into the boil I realized that I wanted to buy the Falconers Flight 7'C's not the plain Falconers Flight. The package says that this is an aroma hop. However the alpha is still 10.8% and beta is 4.6%. What is everyones opinion one this? Thanks

I've never used those blends, but have certain thought about it before. The blends are similar in a lot of ways, meant for the same types of beer. You'll end up with a slightly different beer, but by all means it will still conform to style and you may very well end up liking it a lot. They are both meant for Pale Ale and IPA aroma additions. You'll be fine.

Personally, I love Falconer's Flight. I think it's a great blend.

A couple things to consider about your recipe:

Munich needs to be mashed to avoid getting starch haze in your beer. Not sure about your steeping procedure, but I don't think you'd get much conversion if you're steeping that pound of grain in 6-7 gallons of water. Seems like the "mash" would be too thin for the enzymes to convert the starches to sugars. Maybe steep/mash in a couple quarts of water rather than a few gallons?

Just my opinion, but I'd up the dry hop to at least 3-4 ounces. An ounce isn't much for a 1.072OG IPA.

I think you'll end up making a great beer either way, though. :mug:

Thanks for the input. As for the mashing of the munich. I steeped it in 1.5 qts of water at 150 degree water for an hour ,with the crystal. I did it in a dutch oven. which I placed in my oven on the warm setting (155 deg) I then sparged with the same amount of water. This was my first attempt at mashing so I hope I did it right :eek:
As for the dry hop, my LHBS only had 5oz of FF, so I picked up an ounce of citra , I was going to use that to dry hop with. OG actually came in higher then expected 1.080

Back