"faking" Marris otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I am about to brew a beer that calls for Maris Otter as the base malt with small amounts of 80L crystal, wheat flakes and choc malt. Right now I can get american 2-row for almost nothing and Maris Otter will cost me almost 3 times as much!

My question is this: If I have a recipe that calls for 10lbs of OM what could I do to help my 2-row base grain replicate OM as closely as possible?

Should I up the amount of crystal? substitute some victory for some of the 2-row, or perhaps do the same thing but with vienna, or munich, or all three?

I have no idea of what to do. If someone could give me their suggestion of how to allocate the grain (for example instead of 10lbs 2-row, use 8lbs 2-row, 1lbs vienna and 1lbs munich) I would be very greatful.

I realize that I am not going to get an exact match of the MO flavor profile this way, I just want something that will be in the same ballpark.

Thanks!

Try adding a little Victory/biscuit and some Munich to your 2-row. I like MO a lot and am willing to pay for it but I'd go that route if I was a cheap bastard, probably.

+1 on Victory, around 3-5% of the grist as a starting point.

I think this would be an awesome experiment to figure out. Has anyone done a smash MO/2-Row comparison?

I was looking around for a simliar thread to this one and found somebody who said they were going to do that, but I don't think any results where posted.

btw, I found a similar thread to this in which someone suggests using victory as opposed to munich for MO imitation as about 5-10% of the bill. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/domestic-2-row-munich-synthetic-marris-otter-180632/

Can you get a pale ale malt (usually kilned darker than a malster's pale malt)? a US "pale ale" malt will get you closer, anyway. It won't be the same, but it's a step in the right direction. Victory, biscuit, or amber in small quantities, as stated, might work.

4.5% Victory If I didn't have Victory I would use a 50/50 blend of Munich and Vienna. I think the smash comparison is an idea I would like to see.

4.5% is an awfully specific number. Did you some kind of software to come up with that number? Thanks for the input.

Can you get a pale ale malt (usually kilned darker than a malster's pale malt)? a US "pale ale" malt will get you closer, anyway. It won't be the same, but it's a step in the right direction. Victory, biscuit, or amber in small quantities, as stated, might work.

This maybe a crazy idea, but couldn't you turn regular 2-row into pale ale malt by toasting it in the oven for a very short time? I have a friend who makes his own crystal malt by baking 2-row at 350 for 13min.

You could try toasting some malt. Maybe a pound of very light amber (350F for 20 minutes or so) in the grainbill would help. I've never tried it, but it would be worth experimenting with, I'd imagine.

4.5% is an awfully specific number. Did you some kind of software to come up with that number? Thanks for the input.

Yes and added Victory until the color matched that of the same amount of MO. I used the information off my bag of Castle MO.

12lb 2-Row
9.9 oz of Victory

color 5.8 in my system

I go for one ounce biscuit for every 10 gravity points. A 1.050 bitter gets five ounces.

Works great for me!

Back