Fabricating brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgia

Reaction score
I am going to fab a 15-gallon kettle out of SS. Problem is that I only have 16 gauge SS. I feel that will be thick enough for the sides but want to have something thicker for the bottom.
I can tig 2 pieces of SS together but I also have access to some 1/2" or 1/4" aluminum. I was thinking I could build the brew kettle (sides and bottom) out of the 16 gauge SS and attach either the 1/2" or 1/4" aluminum to the bottom by welding brackets on the side of my SS, and bolting that to my aluminum.

I have plenty of access to all the aluminum I need with routers saws and welders to fab a great aluminum pot, but I want to use stainless. I am a little more limited with the equipment I have for stainless.

Anyone have any experience with using an aluminum base for SS pot? If so how does it work?

For the bottom I think you would want to sandwich a 1/4" aluminum disc between 2 disc's of Stainless Steel. That way the inside of the kettle is stainless and sanitary, the exterior is stainless for good looks and easy cleaning and you are taking advantage of the aluminum's superior heat transfer characteristics. I think this is how alot of the Stainless Kettles are manufactured.

This is a description of the Morebreer Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Kettle:

Tri-Clad Bottom

Our kettles are built with a tri-clad bottom featuring an aluminum core sandwiched between two layers of stainless steel. Aluminum allows for even heat distribution while the food-grade stainless steel is the only metal in contact with your wort. Even heat distribution eliminates hot spots, which prevents scorching of your malt and makes cleanup a breeze!

Didn't think of that. That seems like the way to go. Anyone have a thought on the thickness of the aluminum? 1/4" or 1/2"?

Yeah, aluminum would be easier but it seems like everything I read or hear points towards SS being much better.

I would like to hear what people think on this too.

Yeah, aluminum would be easier but it seems like everything I read or hear points towards SS being much better.

I would like to hear what people think on this too.

I have one of each, they both work well. I made the suggestion based on the fact that you stated you were perhaps better equipped to fab Al.
This topic has been beaten like a red headed step child. Pro cons Al vs SS.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

Also, here is a link to an impressive DIY SS kettle that might yeild some ideas for you.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/new-stainless-20-diy-pot-123837/

May just go aluminum.

Sounds good to me...sure stainless rates higher in some books, but big thick 1/4" custom Alum. kettle would also be kickin!

16 ga SS sounds plenty thick to me... .0625 inches, that stuff is pretty tough. I wouldn't be concerned w/ the bottom. IMHO clad bottom pots are really made for thicker sauces. Wort circulates pretty well. You never hear keggle guys complaining about the lack of a clad bottom.

Blichmann kettles are 18ga 304 stainless steel construction.

Decisions, decisions. I'll have to drink/sleep on this.

Sounds like the 16ga would be plenty heavy enough. I can make this pretty easy too. Liked the looks of the one DIY SS pot.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions!

I hope you plan on purging those when you make them either aluminum or s.s. or your going to have a mess on the inside.

Pat

I hope you plan on purging those when you make them either aluminum or s.s. or your going to have a mess on the inside.

Pat

If by purging you mean, pre-boil with water than yes. I plan on boiling for an hour or so. If I should do something else, please elaborate. Maybe you're talking about getting the oils etc. out of the metal? I was hoping that a good cleaning and then rolling boil of water would do this?

Thanks again.

If by purging you mean, pre-boil with water than yes. I plan on boiling for an hour or so. If I should do something else, please elaborate. Maybe you're talking about getting the oils etc. out of the metal? I was hoping that a good cleaning and then rolling boil of water would do this?

Thanks again.

No I mean filling the vessel with argon when you weld it so it wont oxidize on the inside. When you purge the back side of the weld it will be sanitary and smooth on the inside.

Pat

If you're going to fab it,
Go with the stainless, it's easy to clean, you can scrub the hell out of it if you need to. The aluminum pot needs to have it's oxide layer. Also you can weld your fittings in when you build it. With aluminum you will have to go with weldless fittings.

No I mean filling the vessel with argon when you weld it so it wont oxidize on the inside. When you purge the back side of the weld it will be sanitary and smooth on the inside.

Pat

Never heard of that before, but I've never welded anything that needed to be this clean on the inside. I was actually thinking a lot about the weld burining through the backside and even thought about welding the inside. It wouldn't be smooth inside but it would have been cleaner. This sounds like a good plan.

Fill it with argon and weld it from the outside. You will need a flow meter and an extra tank with a hose use tin foil to seal the opening and hold in your argon. You did say you were tig welding it didn't you. Both stainless and aluminum should be back gassed.

Pat

Fill it with argon and weld it from the outside. You will need a flow meter and an extra tank with a hose use tin foil to seal the opening and hold in your argon. You did say you were tig welding it didn't you. Both stainless and aluminum should be back gassed.

Pat

Yes, tig welding. I have 15 years experiance welding, 8 years welding sheet metal (mig, tig, and carbon arc) and another 7 welding aluminum for signs. Sadly I now sit behind a computer all day so anytime I have an excuse to fab something I get pretty excited.

Asked a co-worker here and he has used the back-gas method in a previous job, so I'm good to go. No problem with the extra tank, we have about 15 welders here at the shop. He didn't mention the aluminum foil, sounds good. I was going to lightly tack the vessel and put a temporary lid on it with a hole drilled for my argon hose.

Thanks again for your advise.

Back