F***ing Cat @#%*&^%*&

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reedequine

Reaction score
I was getting a yeast pack activated on the counter for a Saiisson kit from Williams, came down this morning to find the cat had gotten into it (guess she thought it was one of those foil food packs). Anyway went to the brewstore and got some Trappist liquid yeast from White (the store doesn't carry Wye). I guess this is OK. Just one more lesson for the beginner- keep the f***ing animals away from the brew area or vice versa.

That's really quite funny.

Your story reminded me, for the first time in decades, that we used to give brewers yeast tablets to our cat growing up as a treat. I believe the vet had enouraged this, and the cat seemed to enjoy them.

We have a cat, but she's never expressed any interest in yeast. I worry more about the stupid-a$$ dog wrapping his leash around the propane burner while I'm brewing.

reedequine said:
Just one more lesson for the beginner- keep the f***ing animals away from the brew area or vice versa.
Yep! Fruit flies are the real buggers though! NEVER keep them as pets......;)

Well we get better from our mistakes, or most of us. Maybe I'll name this one Farmcat Saisson with her picture on it to remind me.

No she just punched a hole in the bag with her teeth. Funny when I made my first batch I remembered too how my dad (a vet) used to give brewers Yeast tabs to animals, and I thought it might be good to let the beasts have some. Luckily I came across something in a book about how drinking the yeast yeast products gives you the screaming s***s so luckily I refrained.

Hey! Here's a secret message for my cat buddies that only us cats can read: Way to go kitty! We deserve our beer fix, too!

Just wait till the beer is ready to drink. This is probably what will happen next.

cat_drinking_beer_watch_tv.jpg

Rule #1 on Brew Day: Before anything is set up/cleaned/sanitized, etc. Cats are confined to the garage (with plenty of catnip. I'f I'm going to RHAHB, they may as well get their freak on with catnip).

Cats are a great inspiration for naming batches too.

g0dolphins said:
Rule #1 on Brew Day: Before anything is set up/cleaned/sanitized, etc. Cats are confined to the garage...

Okay; not trying to get preachy here, but a word of caution: be careful of cats in the garage. Especially if you have an anti-freeze leak in the car. They love the taste of anti-freeze and will lap it up off the floor. Then they die a slow and painful death over the next few days.

Many years ago, one of my best friends lost his first cat this way and it was tough for him to just sit by helplessly and watch.

Okay, end of warning.

Good word of advice Rhoobarb. However, in my case if you saw our garage, you would understand. We NEVER park in it because SWMBO has a revolving door of antiques coming in, antiques going out.

"You know that, I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture. " Doyle from Slingblade

Your cat biting your yeast is almost as bad as my dog drinking my starsan solution. . . .

Dog saliva and Starsan kinda cancel each other out, right? Its especially bad when you just emptied that StarSan in a bucket from your fermenter, and right after you yell at the dog, she goes and sticks her nose in the fermenter.

Nothing like having beer fermented by Bacteroides, E. coli, and pasteurella.

Sorry, I could never have a cat. My German Shepherd failed that portion of temperment testing. I think she actually ate the cat at the dog school. :D

Leastways, we were told (rather sternly), to never allow that dog around a cat.

My (huge) dog and the cats don't get along at all, so he lives on the first floor, they live on the second. It's actually kind of useful - if Cassie gets upset, and we're on the first floor, I can ask her if she wants to go upstairs and see the kitties, and that makes her happy. If she's upstairs, we can go downstairs and see Troydog. There's always at least one animal in another part of the house to visit, when she starts throwing a tantrum.

Back