F.G. Off by about .010....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So I was stupid and racked my beer to a secondary before taking a gravity reading and after I noticed that my gravity was still way off. F.G is suppose to be around 1.017 and it was at 1.030. After I racked it it did go down to 1.026 but still it's off a decent chunk. It's been in the secondary for a week now. Hasn't gone down anymore for the last few days.
Anything to do to help it go down even more or just chalk it up to an "oops" and learn from it and just drink it as is?
How would it affect it if I added more yeast now?
I used safale us-05. I think one of the main reasons to begin with that it didn't ferment down to target f.g. is that I didn't use the appropriate amount of yeast to begin with as well as obviously racking too early.

Thanks for the help

If it was supposed to finish at 1.017, and it is 1.016, how is it off by a decent chunk?

How long has it been, and what temperature is it now. If it has not been fermenting for almost a month, just wait some more. If the temperature is low you might raise is to room temperature. And wait some more.

Are you taking your gravity readings at 60°? Hydrometers readings need to be adjusted if the temperature is not 60.

It has been at 66 degrees for the past 2 weeks. I have it in a temp controlled chest freezer. It has been a week since it has changed at all. I took grav. reading when I racked to secondary and it was 1.030, the next day it was down to 1.026 but it hasn't changed since then. I brewed it the beer on Nov. 7th. O.G. was 1.072

You pretty much have a stuck fermentation. If the beer tastes great you can leave it, but I would pitch another packet of yeast. A lower FG will give your beer a dryer, less cloying taste.

What type of beer did you brew and what was the OG?

According to Mr. Malty, 14g of dry yeast should be used with your starting OG. I'd pitch a rehydrated packet and see what happens.

You know, its hard to take a really accurate hydro reading from a freshly fermented sample. The latent CO2 push the hydrometer upward, giving a false reading. It sounds like you may have a slow fermentation due to taking your beer off the yeast too early, never a good idea. If it really hasn't moved in a week it may be time to pitch fresh yeast, maybe even champagne yeast in case it is actually stuck.

Ok, So hopefully it will start back up if I throw more yeast in? I put in the 11.5g packet because I didn't have another and wasn't close to a brew store... I know.. stupid. So I was thinking of grabbing another in the next day or two and throwing half a packet in. Do i just hydrate it and then stir briefly and slowly as to not aerate the beer and hope for the best?
Thanks all

Yeah,re-hydrating is fine. But I'd add the whole packet so it starts up faster. It seems to me it'd still have to reach sufficient numbers to start fermenting again.

Back