EZBoil DSPR120 - Boil mode always on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zero260

Reaction score
I just completed wiring my control panel and all seems fine testing in MASH mode.
If set temp is close to sensor temp I can see output pulse the element. Or if set temp is a lot different from sensor temp output is full on.

My issue is when in BOIL mode. When setting to 50% for example, output is full on as if it were set to 100%.
No matter the percentage set the output never pulses.

Is my pid faulty or am I missing something?
I have it wired exactly as manual states.

Last edited:
Most likely the EZBoil is in boil acceleration mode. What is the value of bAST (boiling acceleration set temperature) set to in your unit? By default it is set to 200F unless you’ve changed it. When you enter boil mode and your PV (process value), i.e. sensor reading, is less than bAST, the DSPR120 will operate at 100% until the PV temp reaches the value of bAST. At that time it will change the output to the value you’ve selected.

Also, the EZBoil line of controllers are technically not PIDs. They use a different algorithm to reach and maintain temps.

That was it - thanks guys.
I guess I got a little impatient once it was wired up.
My sensor is not yet in pot so I set bAST to 80 for a quick test. (Sensor was reading around 63 in open air)
Held sensor in my hand and verified the output pulsing once it hit 80 and could adjust and see the variation.

That's a relief.

Time to set down with the manual.

Latest posts

Back