EZ Water Calculator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruversm

Reaction score
I'm using R/O Water to make an APA tomorrow. Using the EZ Water Calculator Spreadsheet, I have a question about the "Adjust for Sparge Water" option.

When it is selected does it mean that I'm adding additions to the sparge water?

Yes it does. If you're adding salts to your HLT you'll want to calculate for the entire volume of water in the HLT, not the volume you plan to use for the sparge.

**edit**
sorry for the misinformation. I've been doing it wrong all along.

add the salts to the boil kettle

I have a question about the "Adjust for Sparge Water" option.

When it is selected does it mean that I'm adding additions to the sparge water?

No, "sparge water" additions should be added directly to the boil.

An excert from the EZ Water 2.0 Spreadsheet

EZ Water Spreadsheet said:
Sparge Additions (add to boil):

This is a quote from the newest version down by the bottom.

"Add mash salts directly to the mash. Add sparge salts directly to the boil (not the sparge). You may choose not to add certain salts for the sparge water in order to keep some minerals lower in the total water (sodium for example). In this case, simply uncheck the appropriate box."

OK...now I'm confused....

Add the 'sparge' additions directly to the kettle because the pH of the wort will dissolve your salts. Adding them to the HLT will cause the salts to just precipitate.

But won't that allow the pH of the sparge water to get above the tannin extracting threshold?

Possibly. The salts for flavor go into the boil kettle. If you're using lactic acid to acidify your water, that would go into the entire volume of water, including the HLT. Or if you're using sauermaltz to the grain, you can acidify that way, too.

Thank you for the info. I do sparge with RO at around 170 and don't acidify the water at all with acid blend or anything. Good stuff to know. Thanks again.

Back