Extremely high efficiancy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlarnold

Reaction score
I saw a couple other threads but I believe there were from awhile ago so... the last couple batches I put into the open source Brew Target thats been on here in the software section(this is not a paid endorsement for the product although I do use and like the software) I've been getting .005 to .010 higher OG than the program says I should be getting and about the same lower FG. Should I adjust my recipes/ expectations to this result or should I just accept the higher gravity beers and quit my b!tchin? Another thought was that maybe I'm fermenting too high to get the lower gravities but its been pretty consistent from about 65 to 69, possibly on the high end of US-05 but not too high to be worried about, unless I've missed something. I suppose I shouldn't complain and maybe the software uses an extremely conservative estimate but still. Oh well, just bottled, the rye heff tastes pretty decent so far, which is all that counts.

LGI i thought i was doin pretty good, no worries iv been drinkin as well though not whiskey, contimplated puttin this in the drmm because of my current state but figured that id probably get a better answer here

I feel privileged to be :mug: by the gnome

Congratulations on your extremely low standards! ;) I feel that you deserve an answer to your question now, but I haven't used a hydrometer in about two years now......I'm currently working on eliminating all the fiddly bits about brewing that gets in the way of the fun parts. :)

haha, I didnt in the last one but the couple since I updated my manifold were doin pretty well, was just curious and maybe ive just been lookin in the wrong places but this is the first post of yours that ive seen in a little while. amazing art work by the way

To try to answer your question...I did my first AG a couple weeks ago and no idea what to expect for efficiency so I left it at 70%. I ended up hitting closer to 79-80% according to BrewTarget.

If you've had multiple batches that are consistently higher I'd average out your efficiency and plug that into the BT calculator. Mine was my first attempt so my next recipe I'll split the difference and see where I come out until I can get an average efficiency.

Efficiency is a personal thing. Each set of equipment, and even different brewers on the same equipment, will get different efficiencies. Figure out what yours is and use that from now on in brewtarget.

As for FG, that's a total guess by brewtarget. You can drastically affect FG with mash temp, and to a lesser extent with length of boil, fermentation temp, etc. Ignore the "estimated FG" in the program and just learn how your FG changes when you change things in your recipe/procedure.

Back